F3
F3
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Matra, Berger, Cevert, Alonso
Austria

Sources for 3d printing F1 models

Post by Thomas9791 »

Hi there!

I have bought a Bambulab X1 3d printer, not only for modeling but I wonder if there a any sources for printing 3d models e.g. the 60iest car bodys shouldnt be too difficult to do and then just add eg. a Tamiya Cosworth engine. Are the any you maybe know? I also would give some money for them.
A friend of mine is a good CAD designer and he will show me how do to, but I guess this won´t be easy to do ... I know for modelling a resin printer is better I guess but when it´s a new hobby for me i will buy one anyday ...

Thank you!

Bye
Thomas

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: Sources for 3d printing F1 models

Post by indycals »

are you a good problem solver? Because 90% of 3d design and printing is solving problems. The learning curve for both parts is extremely steep. If you're technically inclined, good at math, and can concentrate for hours without a break then you have a good chance of getting where you want to be. I'm still new on the printing end of things but one thing I've noticed is that 3d printing is a lot like photography: Auto settings will get you nice results, but when you need perfect results you need to go full manual (supports/orientation, etc).

Topic author
Thomas9791
F3
F3
Austria

Post by Thomas9791 »

Thanks for the answer! I learned photography in the manual mode even in digital years so that´s no problem (still that don´t mean that i´m a good photographer but technical is all about iso/aperture/shutter speed, the rest is your thing you see pictures) but now i´m older as you said it takes hours which is for sure. So my question was ist there something out there so that we don´t need hours to create it? As a modeller there is no need to be 100% perfect but something that we can work with ...

Topic author
Thomas9791
F3
F3
Austria

Post by Thomas9791 »

So i guess the answer is no

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

There are lots of models out there that are free or available for purchase. But that doesn't mean they are designed right. I've seen a lot of comments from people that get pre-supported models only to find out that the person who set it up didn't know what they are doing. Thus even if you get models - the problem solving is going to start pretty much immediately. If your printer came with a test file (or link to one) start there. Just start printing after following all the set up steps (zeroing/leveling etc). Find a reddit community for your printer where you can ask questions or even just read through to see what other people are experiencing.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Yes, but its not an impossible challenge.
It took me a few hours of experimentations and reading of various forums, guides etc. and I have a decent printer setup.
All the printer setup has to be done "individually" as the common settings of exposure etc. will never work, the supports will never be "just right" for everyone and so on, but once dialed, and the understanding is there its no harder than any other skill.

Its not like photography at all of course, but I do not think that its a magic reserved for some.

That said, I would like to know if people have found some decent F1 models to home print.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

I have my home prints, but are not for sale, at least yet. I spent many many hours to design the pieces, I would say not so easy. I would say to design and to print pieces, wheels, valves, connectors, that is very ok. If you think to design a full kit, that is really another level. It took me 3 years to design around 170 pieces to do a Ensign N177 with details. Engine, body, suspension.....wow and I am still doing some updates, but of course, yes, it is possible with patience.

Somebody will say, but this kit can be found in resin. Yes, it is right, but I decided to do it because of the simplicity of body and just for trainning of my skills. There are adjustments to be done, like thick wings, sizes, rear tires, distance from the floor etc etc etc...

The first protype built only for checking the aspects, I did not spend time sanding, polishing or building like I usually do with kits that go to the shelf.

I have some updates to do, but the positive thing is the assembling is perfect.

Despite the tubes and some pipes, everything is made by 3D resin. I designed the decals too. Dzus are the only photoetched. Around 170 pieces.

I upload the pictures with high quality. So, if click on the picture with right button of mouse and select to open the picture in a new page, you will be able to check with more details.

Last edited by Badi on Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

That is stunning! I've designed a few kits my self and as you note the time investment is enormous - especially when learning as you go. One car I designed is the Marmon Wasp that won the first Indy 500. Full detail kit. I'm pretty sure I have over 1000 hours into it. If I had to do it from scratch I could probably do it in 1/3 the time now but that's still a lot of time. I got very burned out doing 3 parts, but I've also gotten a lot better and more efficient.
Badi wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:39 pm I have my home prints, but are not for sale, at least yet. I spent many many hours to design the pieces, I would say not so easy. I would say to design and to print pieces, wheels, valves, connectors, that is very ok. If you think to design a full kit, that is really another level. It took me 3 years to design around 170 pieces to do an Ensign N177 with details. Engine, body, suspension.....wow and I am still doing some updates, but of course, yes, it is possible with patience.

Somebody will say, but this kit can be found in resin. Yes, it is right, but I decided to do it because of the simplicity of body and just for trainning of my skills. There are adjustments to be done, like thick wings, sizes, rear tires, distance from the floor etc etc etc...

The first protype built only for checking the aspects, I did not spend time sanding, polishing or building like I usually do with kits that go to the shelf.

I have some updates to do, but the positive thing is the assembling is perfect.

Despite the tubes and some pipes, everything is made by 3D resin. I designed the decals too. Dzus are the only photoetched. Around 170 pieces.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

One aspect I've worked on and off the last few years is to take the 3d models from the F1 series of games and use that as the base for a print. This way you aren't starting from scratch, but getting the size right and decals is the core problem. I never made it past the initial stage to get a print done at all with my 3d printer unfortunately so never made it very far.

Topic author
Thomas9791
F3
F3
Austria

Post by Thomas9791 »

That Ensign is really cool! Congrats!