MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126C2 - Long beach

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Blackbaron
Formula e
Formula e

MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126C2 - Long beach

Post by Blackbaron »

Good morning to all,

I will open a new WIP. I always liked this car so just bought one kit from MFH(hard to find now). One of their older releases, so will see how it goes together - scary shiny white metal monocoque. I do not have any mill of lathe machine, just a mini sandblasting gun and I have ordered some aftermarket stuff like bolts, nuts, rod ends.... Just thinking to buy the Proxxon MF70 mill machine - but is the mill machine any helpful without the lathe? So the progress will be rather slow as I have to finish our new house and we have to move in in next 3 months. But anyhow I will try to post as much as possible. Will be gratefull on any help with this kit. Thanks a lot.

BTW: by any chance does somebody knows if RBmotion is still operational? I have no luct to get in touch with them for weeks. Thanks
5cd885ea2c62046224b94872411fe2fc.jpg

VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Re: MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126C2 - Long beach

Post by VR2 »

Hi "Blackbaron", his kit was my entry into the MFH world a few years ago. Built completely out-of-box, it can already be used to create a museum-quality model. In my experience, no aftermarket parts are required.

There were no serious problems with fit during construction. However, what you should pay attention to is the fit of the hood to the monocoque with intercoolers mounted, it could be tight !
The biggest effort was the treatment/finishing of the white metal parts for the monocoque and the front and rear spoilers. Endless grinding and polishing until I was satisfied with the result. Finally polished to a high gloss and then fogged with a thin layer of Alclad aluminum to break the shine.

Have fun and success with the build and here are a few pictures that might be helpful to you in the build.

Best regards, Uli
Ferrari 126C2_VR2_3.jpg
Ferrari 126C2_VR2_4.jpg
Ferrari 126C2_VR2_2.jpg
Ferrari 126C2_VR2_1.jpg

Topic author
Blackbaron
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Blackbaron »

Hallo Uli, Thank you for the info. Your model surely looks stunning! As you say museum quality. I had the same idea with the monocoque. Overdilute Alclad aluminium and just fog it as I do not much like the overpolished white metal. It is not in line with my reference pictures. Thank you for the pictures those will be my motivation.:)

Best regards, Libor.

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

A beautiful model. I look forward to your progress. In relation to the Proxxon MF70! I have them too and a Proxxon PD230E lathe. Both are very reliable and suitable for our hobby. Both machines have a few hundredths of play, but this can be adjusted. However, if I had to decide on a milling machine again, I would take the next larger one. Especially with the use of a parts apparatus, things get tight with the MF70. However, this is only my opinion.
Seema

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

Noice!
Michael Chriss