Look for Meng McLaren MP4/4 in the wild

For all F1 scale model news...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Look for Meng McLaren MP4/4 in the wild

Post by gp-models »

That is what i also know about it Roman, the lap of gods was not a quote from an interview, it was given to him from the media for his truly amazing performance in Donington 93 at the start of the race.
Even when you enter it in a search engine, there only pops Donington 93 as result, not Monaco 88.
Beside this, Senna was a religious man, he quite often talked about where his inspiration is coming from and what he believes in making him so fast. I can`t believe that it is 30 years ago next year when we lost him, a tragic day and weekend all over!
Take a stand!

Pierre-F
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: PIERRE
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton, Alain, Nigel, Nelson, Gerhard
France

Post by Pierre-F »

Chinamalc wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:49 am Mofo is referring to Senna's astonishing qualifying lap at Monaco, where he was 1.4 seconds quicker than Prost in the same car! Senna when interviewd afterwards said he 'was in another place' meaning he had surpassed his normal performance, a place he never got to again. I belive this onboard footage is on the DVD called 'Laps of the Gods'.

M.
No onboard footage because no camera onto MP4/4 ever.
Every time you see in-car footage of Senna in a McLaren-Honda at Monaco, it's from 1990. Only from 1990 with the MP4/5B.

Everything else you see is edits made after the fact

This extract from the film "Senna" (2011) is just bullshit. (one of many)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nnAtVq74o

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

"This extract from the film "Senna" (2011) is just bullshit. (one of many)"

Yes, it is bullshit. While, I respect Senna. I had seen him win 4 times. The movie is over the top.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Pierre-F wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:59 am
Chinamalc wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:49 am Mofo is referring to Senna's astonishing qualifying lap at Monaco, where he was 1.4 seconds quicker than Prost in the same car! Senna when interviewd afterwards said he 'was in another place' meaning he had surpassed his normal performance, a place he never got to again. I belive this onboard footage is on the DVD called 'Laps of the Gods'.

M.
No onboard footage because no camera onto MP4/4 ever.
Every time you see in-car footage of Senna in a McLaren-Honda at Monaco, it's from 1990. Only from 1990 with the MP4/5B.

Everything else you see is edits made after the fact

This extract from the film "Senna" (2011) is just bullshit. (one of many)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nnAtVq74o
That`s right, i also have never seen a camera on MP 4/4, the footage shows clearly MP 4/5b, you can also see it very clear at the windshield showing in this video, clearly not MP 4/4!
Take a stand!

Pierre-F
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
France

Post by Pierre-F »

Before 1989, Lotus had one camera for testing the device, Nakajima, crappy footage but sometimes live..

It became common in 1989, smaller camera, I remember it on the Williams-Renault (Boutsen and Patrese) at Rio. It was a revolution.

Then, one team had the cameras during some GP.

1989 races (16 rounds) :

1) Williams
2) Arrows
3) Brabham
4) Leyton House
5) Leyton House
6 ) ...
7) ...
8 ) Lotus
9) Ferrari
10) Lotus
11) ...
12) ...
13) Ferrari
14) McLaren
15) McLaren
16) ...

Pierre-F
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
France

Post by Pierre-F »

SBEST wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:25 am The movie is over the top.
Oh yes for sure, but many mistakes bothered me :roll:

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Benetton carried the camera in Canada. Brabham also had a rear facing camera in, at least, Australia because it captured Senna hitting Brundle.
I agree about the onboard footage that is always credited to being from Senna in 1988, it's so infuriating to see it wrongly credited. I think his legendary pole lap actually went pretty much unfilmed at the time, as far as I'm aware there is no footage of 'the lap'. Interestingly Piquet did some laps with a huge cine camera set up on Lotus in 1988.

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

daveyman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:03 pm Benetton carried the camera in Canada. Brabham also had a rear facing camera in, at least, Australia because it captured Senna hitting Brundle.
I agree about the onboard footage that is always credited to being from Senna in 1988, it's so infuriating to see it wrongly credited. I think his legendary pole lap actually went pretty much unfilmed at the time, as far as I'm aware there is no footage of 'the lap'. Interestingly Piquet did some laps with a huge cine camera set up on Lotus in 1988.
Benetton indeed had it in Canada I think Brabham also might have had it in Spain (the rear ones at least as I think I've seen battles of that view during the race)
The Senna lap was from 1990 I think as you say often labeled as being 1988 but you can clearly hear it's a non turbo car

Gorf
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Steve
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by Gorf »

For those of you who don't like to paint:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2023/1 ... .html#more

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

First camera of this kind was used in a Renault not sure if 1984 or 5 with Streiff at the wheel. Before they did something with Stewart on a Tyrrell but camera was like a ton!
Great photographer Bernard Asset took pics while standing, tied to the roll hoop of a 1982 RE30B. They said they were never faster than 80 kph... scary anyway