What is happening here? Paint question.

Ask away...

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: What is happening here? Paint question.

Post by Noddy »

bossy122 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:49 pm Care to guess which spoon has primer and which doesn't?
I've been painting models for 40+ years. Do you want to keep playing games or actually take any of the advice you've been getting? :D
One more game? Go ahead and set up a poll or take a survey and I'll bet you don't find many serious modelers who don't prime plastic.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I was making the point about why I don't like using primer. Obviously with recent events i"ll use primer, whether I want to or not.

Lucazena
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Luca
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Italy

Post by Lucazena »

Noddy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:23 am
bossy122 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:49 pm Care to guess which spoon has primer and which doesn't?
I've been painting models for 40+ years. Do you want to keep playing games or actually take any of the advice you've been getting? :D
One more game? Go ahead and set up a poll or take a survey and I'll bet you don't find many serious modelers who don't prime plastic.
Maybe he don't understand because all of us use a basecoat 🙂.
The first trouble in painting coming from the basecoat. But never paint without basecoat.
Don't waste your time 😉

dingo07
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: DJ
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by dingo07 »

I think I did a pretty decent job with this paint job...
Stynylrez blue primer..
IMG_1968a.jpg
Then Gravity Colors paint...
IMG_2066a.jpg
IMG_2065a.jpg

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I may be the odd ball. I do not use primer most of the time.

The primer function is to give the work piece surface a uniform and good surface for the color coat to adhere to.

What I have found is most model paints adhere to a polystyrene surface pretty good. These are static models that are not having to face high handling. Hence tear and wear of paint is not an issue. I have use Tamiyi acrylic, Vallejo acrylic (hand brushed / air), Testor's enamel and acrylic, Revel acrylic, Gunze acrylic, and Humbrol enamel. I airbrush these paints all the time. They all have good enough adhesion that can withstand sanding and polishing. Some of them I also hand brush them for small areas. So far, I have not encounter any issue with no primer layer.

I only used Tamiya spray scan couple times in the past and only one time that I had an issue. It probably was a shelf life issue.

Here's a picture of my Porsche using Tamiya acrylic without primer. The orange paint has been sanded and polished. It is good enough to get a win in a local model show.
996-GT3-07.jpg
Using primer or not is a choice. I don't think it is a must. It definitely helps in some cases.
C K
Canada

Lucazena
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: Luca
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Italy

Post by Lucazena »

So the basecoat it's a choice?
So you paint a Ferrari on black sprue and it's better than a properly film sprayed on a good basecoat (like light grey or much better light pink) ?
Sorry for my bad English.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I wasn't going to add here, but will since others did

I have been building for 30 years, and use primer when necessary, I do not use it all the time

For a properly colored quick Tamiya build I will not use primer at all if staying with colors that work on the kit plastic

dingo07
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: DJ
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by dingo07 »

I should have mentioned... that Mini Cooper is a 1:24 scale BRM slot car White Kit build. It's handled very frequently, and will be crashed at some point!
Here's how it looked right out of the box...
IMG_1899a.jpg

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Lucazena wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:40 pm So the basecoat it's a choice?
So you paint a Ferrari on black sprue and it's better than a properly film sprayed on a good basecoat (like light grey or much better light pink) ?
Sorry for my bad English.
I don't think there is an answer that will satisfy the intent of this question. If you like to use primer, continue to do so. If you don't, then don't. I'm not sure anyone is going to convince anyone else that they are right or wrong. Just like there are lots of ways to build a house, there are lots of ways to build a model.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

CK wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:38 pm The primer function is to give the work piece surface a uniform and good surface for the color coat to adhere to.
What I have found is most model paints adhere to a polystyrene surface pretty good.
Using primer or not is a choice. I don't think it is a must. It definitely helps in some cases.
The one point that I left out of my post that's important in response to your (clipped) comments above is that a primer becomes essential when you are working with automotive lacquer paints over plastic. It's essential to seal the plastic off from the solvents in the lacquer paint. Obviously if you're painting with model paints or the newer waterborne automotive lacquers then that's a different situation. As always your mileage may vary, professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt these maneuvers yourself and opinions of hosts, callers, and guests are not those of station management.