Tamiya 1/20 Jordan Ford 191

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
matto21
F3
F3

Tamiya 1/20 Jordan Ford 191

Post by matto21 »

Hello everyone,

First post in the WIP section for me.

I used to do a lot of F1 [and car modelling generally] in my younger years when I was in school. I used to be able to buy several of the Tamiya 1/20 F1 cars - including the Lotus 107B, the Benetton B192, the Tyrell 023, McLaren MP4/4 and the Jordan 191 from my local model shop.

Time passed, the model shop closed, and my modelling interests changed towards 1/48 scale aircraft. Like many, I suspect, the lockdown period gave me an opportunity to focus on my modelling [notice I say "opportunity" and not "time" - a toddler puts paid to that!].

As time progressed, I found myself being drawn back into the world of F1 in the 90's. I started buying Tamiya F1 kits on ebay where they were a] available and b] within my budget [I lost more than won!] but the one that continued to evade me was the Jordan 191.

Why this car in particular? Well it was the first F1 car kit I owned that I built correctly. I got it for Xmas from my parents when I was 15 [so 25 years ago!]. This model has resided in a cupboard in my parents house ever since.

Last weekend, I started wondering if I could strip the model and rebuild it - something I've done successfully with other models I've built. You may have seen the question I posted a few days ago about stripping enamel paint. That thread gave several useful bit of information [and a generous offer I'm still mulling over!]. Either way, for nostalgic reasons I've decided to give it a go and see what happens. At best, I may end up with a nicely rebuilt and painted model, at worst it goes wrong and I'll just stick it back in the cupboard and forget about it for another 25 years.

So firstly, here's a profile shot of my car:
J191x.jpg
Not too bad actually, especially considering it's age. The main issues are:

1. It's the wrong colour - obviously the sidepods should be blue not dark green! At the time, I only had green available to me.
2. The tyres have a really obvious seam down the middle.
3. The decals need replacing - especially the white portions on the rear wing [although again they're not too bad].
4. I've added some extra that shouldn't be there.

Here are a few more images:
J191y.jpg
J191z.jpg
J191w.jpg
Step 1 will be to try and remove the enamel paint. This won't be quick, but I'll try to share my progress as I go!

Matt

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Tamiya 1/20 Jordan Ford 191

Post by JamesB »

Not bad for an early try!! :D And surely if it wads a Xmas present, sticking to it and restoring is a must!! 8)

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Why not keep the built car, get a fresh 191 ( they can still be found ) build it and compare the two? You'll see where your skills have advanced.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

If you have not yet started destroying the car, here is a link to a Jordan 191 for sale on eBay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/194270950224?ha ... SwfORgy26k
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
matto21
F3
F3

Post by matto21 »

Thanks for the comments.

I prefer refurbishing to destroying, but yes, it has started...

Topic author
matto21
F3
F3

Post by matto21 »

Little bit of progress tonight.

The floorpan has been resprayed - mainly gloss black with the metal sections under the exhausts painted using aluminum from Vallejo's Metal Color range. After spraying, I've noticed some fine scuffing after sanding out the ejector pin marks so this has been patched and will be resanded and painted.

I was pondering using either Zero Paints or Tamiya TS Sprays but i wasn't keen on either due to the fumes/toddler scenario.

I'm pleased to say that I've worked out a compromise that suits me. I happened to have Mr Hobby H25 Sky Blue acrylic. Although not exactly right, it's close enough for me and the fact it's acrylic makes me far happier.

The lower parts of the bodywork have had their paint removed and then been refitted to the floorpan and sprayed.
Screenshot_20210809-232139_Photos.jpg
I've also started applying carbon fibre decals to the floor, just visible here.
Screenshot_20210809-232125_Photos.jpg
So far, so good.

Matt

Topic author
matto21
F3
F3

Post by matto21 »

A bit more Jordan progress. The original model had an unpainted engine. I wasn't intending on doing much painting or detailing, but couldn't help myself.

I've added some crude wiring, just for visual interest [unpainted here].

ImageJ191h by Matt Owen, on Flickr

Once I've painted all the various bits, I'll take some more photos to share.

Matt