FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Casting A Few Resin Parts???

Post by vanhookvintage »

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a SIMPLE mold/casting kit available in the US and where to get it for duplicating a few duplicate plastic kit parts (mirrors, wheel arches, etc.) in resin?

Cheers, :D :D :D
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Re: Casting A Few Resin Parts???

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Greg, funny you should raise this question. I have just started playing around with doing some small molding and casting of some 1/43 scale Indycar stuff. I started with a trial size of Smooth-On Silicone molding agent and Smooth-On 305 Resin. I used legos to make form/mold boxes. You can also look at some Alumilite molding putty (I got it at Hobby Lobby). Works like Play Doh, take equal parts from each container and roll them together to make a mold you simply press the parts into. Once set, i used the Smooth-On resin. Since my initial playing around i have ordered some other resin to play with. If you are keeping it simple the Alumilite is not expensive to get started with. There may be others with a lot more experience than I that can make better recommendations.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

If you want really cheap and easy, for simple shapes, I'd try Oyumaru:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz8FwUEFMzY
Je ne regrette rien.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Honestly the simple/difficult factor does not relay in the components but in the physics of the process, which I encourage to learn thoroughly.
The kits with just a bit of each thing lead to a "make it or break it" approach: you blow it, you run out of resin or silicone.
The learning progress is a fascinating journey and you'll feel as a much more powerful modeler once you can replicate (almost) every part. :D
On the other hand, the crux of it all lays in the design of mold: basically the orientation of part to clone, the in and out ports and the split (if needed) of mold halves.
I am ready to help on this, show the part and I'll tell 8)

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

I could not agree more. In just my limited time playing around with this, I feel much more “empowered” (might just be false hope) and definitely more informed of the process modeling artisans go through.

And yes, orientation seems to be one of the most critical factors toward success. I now spend all sorts of time thinking about a better way to form a part to make it yield the desired result.

Doing a bit of photography everyone seems to think it is all about the camera and not about the one pressing the button. Doing this molding casting thing is very similar. It is not just about the materials, it is about the process, experience and technique that makes the difference.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Forgot to add: if you just want the parts some of your fellow f1m members can surely help. But really (yes, empowering, that's the word!!! :D :D ) you feel better when you can do it.
I won't miss the chance to use a cheesy SW quote: "If you only knew the power of casting parts!" :lol: :lol:
Besides, "beginners kits" are usually 1/5 of the stuff by the same price.
The stuff seen on the youtube video is quite interesting, OK, and you'd go for it in very chosen circumstancies.

robdebie
F2
F2

Post by robdebie »

I know you asked for SIMPLE solutions, but if you want really good results, you might want to consider obtaining casting equipment too. In our model club of say 40 members, 3 do resin casting. All 3 eventually bought a vacuum pump and vacuum chamber, and are now casting perfect parts. This type of equipment has become very much cheaper in the last few years. The cheapest set in the Netherlands that I know is 220 euros.

Rob

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

I believe I still have a “new”( sprayed once) mold release (a good one, not cheap ones), and a set of A B resin solution.

I can give to you for free since you are inside USA.

If interested, I will find them in garage and upload their pictures.

I bought them about 3 years ago trying to cast some resin and gave up later. Too messy to me...... :D

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Then dani I gotta spoil the party. Your kindness is great typical of f1m but resin lasts some 6-8 months. Assuming it's not sticky and tar-like, the mix will produce foam as shaking a beer.
That said, if its lost somewhere among boxes and stuff.... go and find it if you appreciate thse boxes and stuff! :wink:

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

Oh, sorry, James. Just saw this today (7 days later).

I will find them after work today. I believe they are A mix with B reactive resin.

I will post some pictures here and give away for free (free shipping for lower 48 states!) if any one is interested.