Ask away....

Topic author
Pawlie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Model Factory Hiro - fit quality?

Post by Pawlie »

Hi guys,

I'm really like the new MFH Bugatti but the last MFH kit that I built years ago (the 1/20 scale Ferrari 156) required lots and lots and lots of test fitting and sanding and bending and drilling to get right. How are the more recent kits? I'm a bit nervous about spending $700 on a kit that's just going to be frustrating.

Thanks very much!

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Model Factory Hiro - fit quality?

Post by Noddy »

Pawlie wrote:Hi guys,

I'm really like the new MFH Bugatti but the last MFH kit that I built years ago (the 1/20 scale Ferrari 156) required lots and lots and lots of test fitting and sanding and bending and drilling to get right. How are the more recent kits? I'm a bit nervous about spending $700 on a kit that's just going to be frustrating.

Thanks very much!
Unfortunately not that great. I know several people who have had major issues with fit - particularly on doors and engine covers. The engine compartments require lots of fettling as out of the box the engine cover will be sitting on the top of the motor not flush with the bodywork. On some kits the doors and the body are different materials and because of the different rates of expansion and contraction with the molding process some of them aren't even close to fitting and re-shaping them can be very time consuming.
A friend who is a renowned builder - has built professionally and typically throws out half the parts and makes his own from brass, etc, delights in assembling individual photo-etch links to build a motorcycle chain and has been known to thin down actual leather for seatcovers - opened a recent 1/12 kit, examined it closely, pronounced it "unbuildable" and closed the box with a sad shake of the head.

senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by senninha »

I must agree, these kits are only for professionals who are able to substitute a lot of the parts inside the kits

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

senninha wrote:I must agree, these kits are only for professionals who are able to substitute a lot of the parts inside the kits
Breaking news for me. I am non-professional and have build 10-15 MFH 1/12 kit and many more in smaller scales. It is correct that engine cover and doors is not a good fit. But after spending 4 months super detailing - I hate to "close" the model. What turns me on is to display the technical side of a race car.
Br
Allan

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

I only have one 1/12 MFH, but also did a couple 1/20 kits.

Do the MFH Kits need sanding and drilling? Yes, they do. The drilling is a bit tedious, but the sanding was not worse than with plastic kits. If you want to keep metal parts unpainted you may need to put a some effort into polishing, but it's worth it.

Do they have shortcomings here and there? Yes, e.g. if they include hoses that are not that nice, while they have ideal replacements available in their addon parts portfolio... More rivet-counting minded people will also find flaws in body shapes, etc., which is the same with plastic kits.

But I never had to replace/substitute any important part, my MFH builds were 99% OOB, just did some work on details here and there. Except for the drilling, I would not consider an MFH build to be much more difficult, than a detailed plastic kit; it will just take a bit longer because of the extra details. Maybe get a cheap 1/43 white metal kit first to get used to glueing/painting white metal and etched parts, if you only used plastic glue before.

If someone considers their 1/12 MFH unbuildable, please gift it to me, I will build it (except for modern F1 cars, since I don't like to build those ;) )

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

Building MFH is a true test of your modeling skills, you must self evaluate to determine if you are capable, if not it will be a lesson in frustration and failure. Countless hours will be spent on drilling a test fitting, body panels usually need rework, and if panel gaps concern you you might want to pass on these kits. One alternative is consider building TWO of you very favorites, one 'curbside' for beauty and the other 'opened up' to display the amazing detail potential.

donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by donnieleblanc »

I have only built (partially) one 1/12 MFH Kit - McLaren MP4/8 (and a couple 1/20s). Given my the small sample size, I can’t say “all” MFH kits are good or bad. My experience was the fit wasn’t good OOB, but the problems were solvable with modeling skills. It’s a matter of how much patience and time you have.

Some of the issues I was able to fix with putty or putty and CA glue mixed as a gap filler, followed by sanding. Other parts needed some styrene adds. The only Body part that was dreadful was the white metal front engine cowling. It took probably 20 hours to reshape, fill, sand, etc.

Some of the active suspension parts on the car were junk. They are detailed, but molded as 1 part, sort of like a blob reminiscent of 1/24 engines on late 90s Revell kits. They are almost impossible to paint accurately, and really don’t look right as a single molded piece. As mentioned in an earlier thread, you can scratch build parts from metal tubing, which I did for some smaller parts. I also started casting the original parts in rubber molds and making resin copies. I could then cut the part in individual parts and Scratch build around that. I did buy 2 of the kits, so if I mess up, I can open the second and make another part out of resin.

But here is what I’d tell you. The MP4/8 is my favorite F1 car ever and the old Tamiya Kit is what got me into both F1 and F1 modeling. A manufacturer made a 1/12 kit of my favorite. It may take me 3-4 years (two very young children), to build this car correctly, but I will. If it’s your favorite car, it’s worth the hassle.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Well they may be difficult but I I hardly think unbuildable. It is of course a personal thing and everyone has their own perspective. I have built many white metal 1/43 FDS and early Tameo F1 and sports kits. From that perspective, MFH is still a challenge but not unbuildable.
Joe.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

As an addition to my perspective above, I don't believe there can be too much to debate. There are many builds done totally in the open on this forum by both pros and hobbyists. That's why I love this place. Determine for yourself whether the builds are beyond your current skills. BTW, I believe every build makes us better.
Don't you want a challenge?

Joe.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I think they are getting better

I recently finished my MP4/7, no issues, engineering getting better

I also finished the Delta 92 version, the Delta was amazing, everything fit, all body panels were separate, the two made from white metal, sigh, were the hood and trunk, but they fit with some light manipulation

Alex Hague