1/43 Tameo FW16

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: M.Schumacher
Great Britain

1/43 Tameo FW16

Post by 43k »

Greetings to you all again! I finally have another “WIP” to share here. This time, I decided to keep to the Senna’s theme following the MP4/6 last time out, and went for another Tameo kit of FW16 from the 1994 season. I think this F1 racer needs very little introduction and I’m sure it is one of those rare occasion in our life that we can remember exactly what we were doing during that horrible weekend.
IMG_5680.JPG
The car in this thread is actually from the Brazilian GP and I did have the full intention of converting it to the San Marino GP. However, I found out it was more difficult than I thought during the build process and so Brazilian GP it is then!

A very typical Tameo kit of its era in that it is well proportion and relatively easy to build together. I think I paid £30 for it many years ago. However, upon closer inspection, there are many areas that I would like to improve on. I also would like to apologise in advance for any continuation error in the following photos as I often don’t plan my build as well as I could!
IMG_5678.JPG
One of the area is there was a lot of casting shrinkages on top of the side cover, and so I piled on some epoxy putty before sanding down flat again.
IMG_5709.JPG
IMG_5710.JPG

Topic author
F2
F2
Great Britain

Re: 1/43 Tameo FW16

Post by 43k »

The other area is the air box which was closed up in the usual with most kits of it era. However, the main issue was the shape is wrong so I opened it up carefully before reshaping.
IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_4869.jpg
I bent a 0.7mm brass wire into the correct shape before soldering it onto the air box surrounding. Note the kink on the bottom.
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG
IMG_5346.jpg
IMG_5347.jpg

Topic author
F2
F2
Great Britain

Post by 43k »

Note the plastic card I added to the inside of the side pods. I added them to reduce their openings as I found the actual car had a rather slimmer line than the kit.
IMG_4792.jpg
I also shaved off some of the excess metal so the side pods are flush to the floor.
IMG_4793.jpg
I also found the nose cone to be too short and so on went more epoxy putty before reshaping. I used my mounting jig in order to set the correct height for the front wing at the same time.
IMG_5248.jpg
IMG_5249.jpg
Lots of white metal to be thinned……… Although it may sound like a tedious task but I actually find it OK. Having the correct tools definitely helps, though.
IMG_5674.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG

Topic author
F2
F2
Great Britain

Post by 43k »

IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4795.jpg
Once I thinned out the rear of the engine cover, I thought why stop there and so onto the floor and diffusers. This is when I went a bit mad and decided to open up the central portion of the diffuser, not that anyone could see it……
IMG_5105.jpg
I then decided to flatten the base of the floor in order to remove the raise engraving that’s usually found on all Tameo kits of this era, as I found them interfering with my ride height setting.
IMG_5725.JPG
IMG_5728.JPG

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Nice attention to detail. Will really push the base kit on to something special.

Topic author
F2
F2
Great Britain

Post by 43k »

I also found the tea tray under the chassis tub to be poorly made and so I modified it by separated it so the “tea tray” is more pronounce.
IMG_5676.JPG
IMG_5245.jpg
I noticed there should’ve been a clear rear light cover on the actual car and so I made a template in the hope of making my own further down the build process.
IMG_5244.JPG
Before I can move on and set the ride height with all the suspension components, I need to sort the wheels and tyres out. I made myself a mandrel by gluing two unwanted Tameo F1 wheels together.
IMG_4803.jpg
This would allow me to mount the rubber tyres onto it and spin them over a sandpaper in order to get rid of the moulding seems.
IMG_4802.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg

Topic author
F2
F2
Great Britain

Post by 43k »

I also found some tools in my tool box that happen to fit the photo etch wheel hub which allows me to press them in order to provide a more curve and 3D effect.
IMG_4805.jpg
IMG_4806.jpg
IMG_4807.jpg

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Love it! Great start on it! :)
Take a stand!

MotorsortModelKit
F2 Champion