Ask away....

Topic author
HenkDekker
F3
F3

Newbie questions

Post by HenkDekker »

Dear Modelling friends,

I've recently found this site after googleing around, improving my modelling skills and looking at all your guys (mostly) amazing projects!
Some time ago, i've came back into modeling after not having done anything for many years.
After getting all the proper tools back and getting some kits, i've started back into this amazing journey once again.
So far, i'm pretty sure i got everything on hands except for an airbrush kit. This is something i'm more then likely will get with my old man the next month.
I managed to get my hands on the Tamiya F1-2000 and the Williams FW13B, both seems pretty decent kits to get back into the game.
Because i know my skills are pretty much lacking i've picked up two revell kits but because they simply lack the quality i'm now waiting for them to send replacement parts to get any further. :(
Quite a shame, because i won't feel the pain i get when i screw up compared to these F1 kits.
Anyway, i've made a start with the Tamiya FW13B in the meantime and i'm really not sure how to solve the problems i'm struggling with.
Even after watching countless internet pages and youtube videos.
I'm hoping some of you can help me out getting back in the game.
The Williams start off rather easily, with the engine, gearbox (i assume) and part of the rear wing all attached together.
Yesterday and today, i've used some Tamiya 6mm masking tape to paint the proper sections the proper colour, attached both sides together obviously and let it all dry properly now.
I should note, because i have no airbrush for the time beeing, im using Enamel paints and small pencil brushes. I've got brushes in all sizes, smallest is 5/0.
The next step, should be painting the first parts of the rear suspension. However, i'm really clueless already how i should paint the different colours properly without screwing up.
There are very minor details that should be silver, like the bolts. This can be tackled with a really small pecil and just a magnifier.
However, there are also parts where black and silver should be mixed beneath, and the parts where the actual rods come from should be black.
Now, for the last few hours i've been struggling with my masking tape to mask whatever is needed but the strips become so small that no matter how they simply will not stick.
Also, the details are curved in all forms, but whenever i try to apply masking tape and cut the shape off i'm pretty sure i will damage the actual part so that seems like a big no.
Can you guys please give me any info how you guys handle this?
I'm pretty sure its rather basic modelling, but i've never tried working on this much details and i'm constantly looking to improve.
I've considered getting some tamiya 2mm masking tape, but first i should know if that is actually what i need.
Also, when i'm working on the cover of the engine, often there is a brand or logo very tiny on it that can be painted, but i'm really not sure how this can be archieved without screwing up.
I've read something about dry brushing it, but when i tried it on my revell Ferrari Enzo it didn't work out all that well.
Look at http://car--reviews.com/images/williams ... ault-1.jpg i'm talking about the Renault F1 in silver on here.
What's the usual way to get this done?
Working on this kit should not give me a perfect car, but a big learning process so i can make better cars in the future.
Hope i can ask you guys questions in this thread and obviously all your input is more then welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Henk,

Firstly, welcome to the best F1 modelling forum around.

You could write a book for each of the answers to your questions. Airbrush techniques, masking techniques, brush painting etc are all in-depth tasks where many differing responses and answers could be found.

Your comments indicate that you have returned to the hobby after a break. New products and building materials are being released all the time and sometimes it can be confusing to know how to best approach a particular matter. For this reason alone ( and to help ease confusion ) I would recommend you look at http://www.youtube.com and watch the dozens of available videos on each of the subjects you are asking about. For instance, you will learn the differences between enamel and acrylic / lacquer paints and the best ways to apply them. There is an almost endless supply of information to be found for all the different aspects of modelling. You may also find that some aspects of military modelling techniques are just as useful to car modelling. For instance, air brushing techniques are perfectly interchangeable between both genres.

As modelling is a hobby it is meant to be fun, so I would suggest to go slowly, learn as you go, and master the basic steps first. Establish a solid foundation of techniques before leaping headlong into something new. I've seen so many younger modellers become disappointed when their modelling project fails and they abandon the hobby instead of learn from it.

You have taken positive steps in joining a good modelling forum (like this one) and asked questions. The Internet is a perfect resource for all sorts of information. Video clips can be especially useful because video usually shows the end result and invariably answers the question.

You might find that using spray cans instead of an expensive airbrush will be helpful as you learn. Once you master the art of spray painting you will also learn about different masking processes along the way. There are several factors to consider when spray painting and the best way to learn is to do your research first, read any available books, and watch videos before eventually taking the hands-on approach.

Please feel free to ask more questions. A lot of the forum members here have been modelling for decades and there is a wealth of information available here.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Dry brushing takes practice. I use a broad flat brush and get as little paint onto the piece at a time as possible. I would suggest practicing on the numbers on sprues. There will be "overpaint". For that I scrape it off with an Xacto blade. I watched a vid of a highly skilled Japanese modeller and was delighted to see that he scraped excess off as well.
Other people have put Bare Metal Foil over the logo, paint it black ( or whatever color) then lightly sand the paint off the raised part.
And Tamiya spray paints are your friend. I have 3 airbrushes and hate them all!

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Great advice so far.
One thing that I'll say simply is that when mistakes happen, and they will, these are moments where you quit or learn and improve. Some people here have natural talent but most of us need to put the time in and mess up to learn.
Enjoy the journey. The final car being done is the icing on the cake. At least that's how I look at it.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I would certainly suggest getting some Tamiya spray paint of various colours for spraying such as the suspension parts. A tin of their Semi Gloss Black spray will give a nice even finish, and as it's a common colour it will probably be used on most projects somehow.
Don't forget to prime the plastic before applying the colour paint. Again a Tamiya primer spray can will help you.
As for masking, the thin tape may help in certain places, a lot of people seem to dislike masking but a steady hand, patience and the right tape can create great results.
The key thing is to not get downhearted when things go wrong, and they will. Put the kit down, think about what happened, maybe ask questions on here and then go back to it. Most problems can be solved.
Enjoy yourself and welcome to the forum.

Topic author
HenkDekker
F3
F3

Post by HenkDekker »

Paul_OFarrell wrote:Hi Henk,

Firstly, welcome to the best F1 modelling forum around.

You could write a book for each of the answers to your questions. Airbrush techniques, masking techniques, brush painting etc are all in-depth tasks where many differing responses and answers could be found.

Your comments indicate that you have returned to the hobby after a break. New products and building materials are being released all the time and sometimes it can be confusing to know how to best approach a particular matter. For this reason alone ( and to help ease confusion ) I would recommend you look at http://www.youtube.com and watch the dozens of available videos on each of the subjects you are asking about. For instance, you will learn the differences between enamel and acrylic / lacquer paints and the best ways to apply them. There is an almost endless supply of information to be found for all the different aspects of modelling. You may also find that some aspects of military modelling techniques are just as useful to car modelling. For instance, air brushing techniques are perfectly interchangeable between both genres.

As modelling is a hobby it is meant to be fun, so I would suggest to go slowly, learn as you go, and master the basic steps first. Establish a solid foundation of techniques before leaping headlong into something new. I've seen so many younger modellers become disappointed when their modelling project fails and they abandon the hobby instead of learn from it.

You have taken positive steps in joining a good modelling forum (like this one) and asked questions. The Internet is a perfect resource for all sorts of information. Video clips can be especially useful because video usually shows the end result and invariably answers the question.

You might find that using spray cans instead of an expensive airbrush will be helpful as you learn. Once you master the art of spray painting you will also learn about different masking processes along the way. There are several factors to consider when spray painting and the best way to learn is to do your research first, read any available books, and watch videos before eventually taking the hands-on approach.

Please feel free to ask more questions. A lot of the forum members here have been modelling for decades and there is a wealth of information available here.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz
Thanks for your reply, the last time i've been working on a model is roughly 15 years ago indeed.
For the last 1,5 month i've been busy working on modeling again but also keep getting everything in my mind that i might need, tool wise.

It helps that my old man also is busy with the same hobby, has a bit more experience even though it's been years for him too.
I've used spray cans for the body of my Revell Enzo Ferrari, and wanted to work on the easier new C7R also by Revell.
About the quality of both, the Enzo bottom plate was so much bended that no matter what i'm going to do, the rear right exhaust ends up where the rear lights on the body will be.
I was under the impression that most of the kits came like this after reading around, and for many it would still fit and fix itself. Sadly my kit will not :( This came like this out of the box. I've practiced a lot on the interiors however, and i did that body rather well IMO.

The C7R i've been busy with, didn't seem to have that much fitting issues except for the Glass which is nicely made of one piece. I can not find any particular fault in the body, and i don't think the hole in the glass is drilled wrong either. Otherwise i could've just drilled another hole, or make the body fit. So, i've contacted Revell and they send me a new body+glass.
Same for the Bottom of the Ferrari, so basically these two projects can't be worked on anymore right now :(
That's one of the reasons i've slowly starting to work on one of the Tamiya kits.

I'm not scared to make mistakes, because just like on the Revell ones i've not made them perfect but i countered all the problems i engaged except the stuff that simply does not fit.
The Revell Enzo has quite a few struggles, not really their best kit IMO.
Still thanks a lot for your advice.
I've seen a lot of stuff you've been talking about that gets applied on mostly militairy vechicles, and while they are all very nice they often don't bring straight up solutions for my problems :D Yet it learns you new things more then enough :)

bossy122 wrote:Dry brushing takes practice. I use a broad flat brush and get as little paint onto the piece at a time as possible. I would suggest practicing on the numbers on sprues. There will be "overpaint". For that I scrape it off with an Xacto blade. I watched a vid of a highly skilled Japanese modeller and was delighted to see that he scraped excess off as well.
Other people have put Bare Metal Foil over the logo, paint it black ( or whatever color) then lightly sand the paint off the raised part.
And Tamiya spray paints are your friend. I have 3 airbrushes and hate them all!
Thanks for your good advice, i have plenty of sprues to practice on. However, would'nt you damage the paint below if you scrape it off?
Lets's say you've made the entire box black and wan't to paint the Ferrari letters red, you basically paint it all black first. Then if you apply the red, and scrap the excess, you need to repaint the black pieces but this might become verry messy? Anyways, i'm gonna practice it!
turboF1 wrote:Great advice so far.
One thing that I'll say simply is that when mistakes happen, and they will, these are moments where you quit or learn and improve. Some people here have natural talent but most of us need to put the time in and mess up to learn.
Enjoy the journey. The final car being done is the icing on the cake. At least that's how I look at it.
Agreed, good advice!
I'm not affraid for mistakes. Thats why i consider everything i work on right now as practice.
I've had my fair share of stupid own mistakes + bad Revell quality already and i'm still working on them :)
Thanks
daveyman wrote:I would certainly suggest getting some Tamiya spray paint of various colours for spraying such as the suspension parts. A tin of their Semi Gloss Black spray will give a nice even finish, and as it's a common colour it will probably be used on most projects somehow.
Don't forget to prime the plastic before applying the colour paint. Again a Tamiya primer spray can will help you.
As for masking, the thin tape may help in certain places, a lot of people seem to dislike masking but a steady hand, patience and the right tape can create great results.
The key thing is to not get downhearted when things go wrong, and they will. Put the kit down, think about what happened, maybe ask questions on here and then go back to it. Most problems can be solved.
Enjoy yourself and welcome to the forum.
You are right on that one, so far i've only sprayed the exteriors.
Also i've bought two spray cans of primer already, so that should be just fine :)
And thank you, a lot of advice already which is nice to read :D

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I always think of the "Airplane!" movie panic attack scene, when we all give advice, sometimes kinda divergent. Sarting with myself!!! :lol: :lol:
So even if what's been given till now is excelent wisdom, I will go a bit simpler.
When I look back I see terrible mistakes and great "rights" that I made that, not being the proper thing to do, at least simp-lified things.
Sometmes we tend to "overdo" when we start, so better get to the point of feeling at ease with little options, and go making it mre complete as you evolve.
So,some things:
-Yes, do look for Tamiya sprays, particularly, and so far ONLY for bodywroks.
-Forget aobut enamels for bodyworks at least. Light paints will yellow, and soon.
-YES do use enamels for small parts, and yes small brushes are ideal.
-Even if Semi gloss black in spray an is great for suspensions, you'll get frustrated at wasting 90% of paint. You don't want that.... so far.
-Suspensions are molded in black. It's not a sin if you leave plastic unpainted for that, to start with. That makes the painting of small sectors of parts (pick up pints, bolts, rocker plates) in colors ther than black much easier. No need to mask: yes yu rsk to break parts.
-Forget arylics, at least for brush. Soooo hard to handle.
-Humbrol are probably the easiest enamels, others take so much longer to dry.
The FW13B is a good example of a model that can be done like that. You better start of with an avarage-but-not-suffering model, than a nightmare.
-Rattle can paint, decals, and finally a careful TS13 clear coat can get a deent finish, don't get int polishing etc yet.
Ah! though dry brush gives nice results, it's nt really needed in F1, generally speaking as stuff is usually quite clean.

As a general motto: have fun, make it simple, don't see it as a huge amount of "to do" things.
There'll be time to make it more complicated as you learn
And yes, welcome!!! :D

Topic author
HenkDekker
F3
F3

Post by HenkDekker »

Thanks, that clip is a usual reaction when you tend to screw up something i guess :D
To be fair about the bodywork, while i'm sure i will get the proper spray can for it, i prefer to at least for now wait a bit with it.
You have some fair points, and i'm pretty sure i'll apply them.
I figured Acrylics would've been a pain to handle in te first place, thats why i started out with Enamels.
About keeping things unmasked, that will be a nightmare sometimes because some details are so small and the chance of hitting some wrong parts alone is so high that i think i can't go unmasked on some things.
I think experience is what i need to simply get there, the balance of what should be masked and what can be done with just a steady hand.
Regarding your suggestion about Humbrol Enamels, should they be thinned too? I guess so though.
And how would you handle lets say the Ferrari text on the engine cover? If not drybrushing, then how could it be done? Magnifier, 5/0 brush and a lot of patience?

Anyways all of you have given me so much excelent advice already, and the warm welcome is very nice :) Thanks once again!

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Putting red over black probably won't work. For anything you're going to paint red, especially a Ferrari, you'd be wise to paint the entire body gloss white then gloss red over that, otherwise, it looks really spotty. On an engine, I would suggest painting the entire part black or gun metal or whatever then dry brush the raised areas with a silver color and then do red over that. Painting white with a brush, in my experience, is trying.
As for the scraping trick, you want to use a lite touch and try to only scrape off the excess. Most likely you will scratch off some base coat in which case you get to do touching up with a brush.....no one said it would be easy. And if your eyes are going to **** like mine, it's even MORE fun! Enjoy!

hquednau
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by hquednau »

Things that helped me the most getting (back) into the hobby:
1) Tamiya masking tape (it really works!)
2) Tamiya TS spray paints. I have an airbrush, but use mostly rattle cans. Various metalics, blacks etc for suspensions and engine bits. Make sure to use them outdoors or with a spray booth.
3) Aftermarket decals. Brings old kits new life! Check out Indycals for improved versions of old Tamiya decals.
Good luck to you!