Ask away....

Topic author
tifosi224
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

stripping paint from plastic & metal

Post by tifosi224 »

Hello,
I know this topic has been covered a few times, but I don't have much luck with search function. shows up as an error....
Anyway, I'd like to know the best & safest way to strip paint from injection molded plastic (typical kit ABS plastic) & metal parts.
I vaguely remember bleche wite as an option but not 100% sure if that is correct. A solution that is readily available in Canadian market will be a bonus.

Thanks in adavnce for your help & advices.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: stripping paint from plastic & metal

Post by JamesB »

Well, first, typical plastic is PS (Polistyrene) not ABS. the latter s used in some parts, as Tamiya suspensions. PS is weaker.
Bleche, not sure ehat it is, but sounds like paint solvaent. There's a rule: if it smells strong and like gasoline, it'll harm the plastic. Then you should know what paint is.
Typical: oven cleaner or the active principle, NaOH or caustic soda. Cheap, available at cleaning products shops.
Then there's brake fluid, but is more expensive, less ecological and not all varieties are kind to plastics.
A pic of teh subject would help...

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I've only ever used Bleche to clean resin parts with, don't know if it will strip paint. The question is: what type paint are you stripping? If you're stripping Testors enamel there's this stuff called Motsenbockers Lift Off that takes that stuff off.
For Tamiya acrylics, 91% isoprpyl takes it off nearly instantly....which is a blessing and a curse with the X paints. For the Tamiya spray paints, I still haven't come acros anything that takes it off quickly and cleanly. There's paint stripper out there that curdles the paint but you have to scrape the crap off and sand it smooth.....very labor intensive....yuck.

Topic author
tifosi224
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tifosi224 »

sorry....should've been more specific.
Tamiya spray paint TS-8 & Tamiya acrylic paints...

pstager
F2
F2
Your Name: Pat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
United States of America

Post by pstager »

I've used DOT4 brake fluid with good results (sorry, not sure what the equivalent would be in other countries). 98% isopropyl alcohol will also do the job, but not as effectively as brake fluid in my opinion.

Tomtom12
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Great Britain

Post by Tomtom12 »

Hi I asked a smiler question the other week, to strip zero paints and 2k gloss from a tamiya kit.
I used 99% isopropanol ,left it to soak for 24 hours and then washed it off with soapy water and a brush, only had trouble removing the primer some of it I had to sand off.
Hope this helps.

63Modified
F3
F3

Post by 63Modified »

There is a stripper from testors called ELO. Works great and safe on all plastics. Made for hobby paints and models. Brake fluid works but it will eventually melt plastic if you do not watch it

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

63Modified wrote:There is a stripper from testors called ELO. Works great and safe on all plastics. Made for hobby paints and models. Brake fluid works but it will eventually melt plastic if you do not watch it

Yeah, that's the stuff I couldn't think of before. It makes quite the mess IMO. My problem has always been; how do you dispose of that stuff? Not crazy about flushing haz mat down my drains.

Topic author
tifosi224
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tifosi224 »

someone smack me in the head if this is a dumb question....99% isopropanol is basically the rubbing alcohol?
all viable suggestions but not looking forward to the mess...I'll check with local hobbyshop if they have the elo product.

Daveporschephile
F2
F2

Post by Daveporschephile »

I have used spray oven cleaner quite successfully. If you use isopropyl it has to be 99% and not as effective as oven cleaner.