what are they thinking

For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
87bmwm6
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

what are they thinking

Post by 87bmwm6 »

I was looking on amazon and discovered a place trying to sell a Fujimi 1/20 Ferrari 126ck for $871.41. Empire market. shipping was only 4.49. Boggles the mind. I don't even have a silly or rude comment ta make. Interested in what others have to say. Jack.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: what are they thinking

Post by JamesB »

No wonder. The may try what they want, right? the other day I saw on a spanish app for selling between particulars a Roberts IXO 1/12 bike, asking 180 euro...

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Amazon UK a seller listing a Tamiya 1/20 FW07 at 115GBP and..... the same shop selling the same kit using the same box top photo listed again at 198GBP!!!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

There's a brave new world for newcomers. Imagine how we'd see the whole picture, if nstead of having been watching it evolve for the last 30 odd ears (my case) you just make contact and BOOM, see things like an FW07, with great detail and 35 years old, in a world where a multi hundred bucks mobile 3 ears old, and that is an incredible piece of technoloy, is considered obsolete.
There are also FW07s and others at some 100eu in the same place I referred to.
Meanwhile, other people sell gems at 1/10 of ther value...

biercemountain
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
United States of America

Post by biercemountain »

You assume thinking had anything to do with it. ;-)

Paul

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

Make people pay for any "buy it now" listing that lasts more than two weeks and you will see a lot of this stupid seller greed go away.

caterhamnut
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by caterhamnut »

To be honest, you see similar(ok, not quite that extreme) p*ss-take mark-ups from a few 'well known' euro based model suppliers. Its a shame, because they do a lot of really cool other stuff, and I'd spend loads - but I am put off when I see readily available kits at hundreds over list price.
It also seems that there is more money to be made by breaking up kits and selling the parts off individually (just like the real thing I guess) which also seems a shame.
Still - I guess people need to make money, and there are always people willing to pay.

Brooklin1
Midfield
Midfield

Post by Brooklin1 »

I thought I had read on another thread here that these insane prices on Amazon, (not necessarily eBay) are because it is easier for the seller to put a crazy price on an item if they are out of stock, than to remove the item listing entirely. If somebody does happen to order the item, the seller will order it from anywhere just to fill the order and make a huge profit. Not sure if it is true or not.