What do I need to connect an IWATA airbrush to compressor?

Ask away....

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

What do I need to connect an IWATA airbrush to compressor?

Post by Tyrone »

Hi guys, I'm interested in this IWATA airbrush.

http://www.hiroboy.com/Iwata_Revolution ... --200.html

not sure where I'll be getting it from yet, but the bigger nozzle seems like something I need for slightly thicker paints!

My compressor has this connector on the end of the air hose. Image Image

What adapters do I need to get?

Thanks!
Tyrone

Mclarenfan1
F2
F2

Re: What do I need to connect an IWATA airbrush to compresso

Post by Mclarenfan1 »

What type of air compressor? Most hardware stores will carry brass compression fittings. That's what I've used. I recently bought a mini compressor at Harbor Frieght and my Iwata Neo didn't need any adapters.

Ken

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

This is the compressor, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I've had it almost a year now, and fancy a brush upgrade.

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Mclarenfan1 wrote:What type of air compressor? Most hardware stores will carry brass compression fittings. That's what I've used. I recently bought a mini compressor at Harbor Frieght and my Iwata Neo didn't need any adapters.

Ken
Thanks ken, so should the screw bit just fit. or do they come in different diameters?

albrecae
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Adrian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Great Britain

Post by albrecae »

according to the information on your compressor you have a 1/8" BSP outlet, the Iwata hose has 1/8" BSP to 1/4" BSP fittings, so if you buy the iwata hose with the airbrush you should be good to go.

http://www.hiroboy.com/3_metre_Iwata_Br ... -2179.html

Regards

Adrian

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

#1. Buy the airbrush from Japan. Iwata airbrushes are much, much cheaper from Japanese sources, whether that's eBay, Amazon or even HLJ.

Secondly, I can't really figure out how your airbrush connects to your tank. The eBay listing says it has 1/4" fittings (I'm assuming at the compressor end... is it the same size on the airbrush end?!?), while the photos of the two air brushes show quick connect fittings. In simple terms though, you have three options:

a.) just use an Iwata hose. The 1/4" end will connect to your compressor, the 1/8" end will connect to your Iwata brush. If your existing hose already has a 1/8" connector on the end, it should connect to the Iwata just fine, too, but if you're unsure, you can just swap the hose. On the plus side, it will probably be a nicer hose than the one you've got; on the minus side, it may(!) not be compatible with your current brushes, or with any non-Iwata brushes you buy in the future. https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php ... ucts_id=75

b.) buy an adapter to fit your airbrush. There are loads of these: https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath= ... enj1rrbp12 (and that's just the first site that came up when I searched 'iwata adapter'. This would attach to the end of your air hose, to adapt whatever that threading is, to an Iwata thread pitch. On the plus side, this would probably be the cheapest way to convert your existing air hose (if it needs converting?) and you *can* buy adapters to convert anything to anything else, but it would be kind of a pain in the ass to have to keep swapping connectors if you want to change brushes. So realistically, you'd probably leave it permanently attached, so you've got the same potential 'may not work with non-Iwata brushes' downside.

c.) Quick connects. The Amazon photos show quick connect couplers attached to the airbrushes, so if your air hose has a quick connect fitting attached, you can just buy the appropriate Iwata plug (the coupler should be universal). https://airbrushes.com/index.php?cPath= ... enj1rrbp12 If your hose doesn't have a fitting... you can buy a standard size fitting, plus an Iwata plug to connect your airbrush to your hose. You can also buy Iwata hoses with the fitting attached. Biggest downside is that it would probably be your most expensive method, but on the plus side, you can easily swap your airbrush (any airbrush - you can get plugs for any brand), and easily remove it from the hose for cleaning/repairs/whatever. You won't have to keep screwing/unscrewing it from the hose, which is really nice.
Je ne regrette rien.

naka
Formula e
Formula e

Post by naka »

I have the cr airbrush and that is the size of my hose so it should fit.

mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

What you are looking for is an adapter for an airbrush hose to 1/4 female pipe. (the 1/4 pipe will be female and the airbrush hose end will be male. Then you can use any quick connect line coupler you want for a std air compressor hose.
You can also do it this way which is how I have mine for now.
I use a water trap from an old hobby airbrush compressor that I have adapted to connect to my full size regulator. I can either spray locally from the air compressor or remotely by using the 1/4 compressor hose to move the trap where ever I need it.
I using a std hobby compressor there will be no need for any kind of adapters. The hoses will connect up to it (generally) as they tend to be pretty standard at 1/8 line or something like that. I have a full size air compressor so it serves a dual role for all my air tools and the air brush. (60 gal 6 hp upright) These tend to be much overkill however for most hobbyists and there are smaller alternatives such as a pancake compressor like you would find with a air-nailer set.
Paul

Mclarenfan1
F2
F2

Post by Mclarenfan1 »

Your compressor is similar to mine, I'm surprised it doesn't fasten together.

Ken

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

I must thank everyone for being so helpful yet again :)

I'll order the brush and see if it fits (looks like it should)

If not you've all posted some great resources on things to try!

Thanks for being such a nice and friendly bunch of people :)

- Tyrone