Merit Alfa 158 (1950) update kit (DECALS NOW AVAILABLE!)

For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Merit Alfa 158 (1950) update kit (DECALS NOW AVAILABLE!)

Post by indycals »

I recently acquired a 1/24 scale Merit Alfa Romeo 158 kit. Not a bad kit for it's price and age, but it does leave a lot of room for improvement. First recommendation - get the wire wheel upgrade kit from Herb Deeks Link

Second - the engine and cockpit are generic at best (and the engine doesn't even have a correct air intake). So, I went ahead and drew up a brand new engine, radiator and cockpit pieces. This is not available yet, but I really think this - combined with the Deeks wheels, will bring new life to this kit. I'll be sending this to Shapeways in the next few days and if all is well, I will make it available through Shapeways. Oh, I'm also doing decals that will include the various colored patterns for the nose and I've been experimenting with a chrome decal for the grille (jury is still out).

I've already had requests to do a similar update for the Talbot Lago - if the Alfa update does well, then the Talbot update is highly likely.

Here's a preview of what I have. This will have pre-formed holes for easy running of spark plug wire.

Last edited by indycals on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Re: Merit Alfa 158 (1950) update kit

Post by flashman »

Considering how widely available both the Alfa and Talbot-Lago (or Lago-Talbot depending on the issue :wink: ) kits are, what with the SMER and more recent Atlantis issues being easily found (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Plastic-T ... B00DRENBV6), I think you've picked a great subject to do. In fact, I've got the SMER kits of both in my stash.

Looking forward to what you produce!.

Cameron

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

It took me a while to realize what kit you were talking about! :lol: then I look down and I have one on my desk at work :lol: :lol: Well, the Talbot anyway. This is AMAZING news, I still have the Alfa to build and I know I will for SURE buy both the shapeways and decals as this kit could use some TLC if you decide to come out with them.

Now, a quick question. What are these Deeks wheels you speak of? The wheels were always the bane of these kits IMO.
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

The Deeks wheels are actual wire inserts for the kit tires - see the link in my first post. I have a set but haven't used them yet.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

Looks nice...I think Fernando Pinto (FPPM) wire wheels will work on the kit also.

pmodwrks
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Chris
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LOTUS F-1 THE MOST CREATIVE, INIVATIVE AND MULTI-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS. COLLIN CHAPMAN WAS A GENIUS AS WAS THE MANY DESIGNERS, MECHANIC AND CREWMEN THAT DESIGNED, CREATED, BUILT, MAINTAINED AND RACED. NO OTHER TEAM IN HISTORY HAS MATCHED THEIR RECORD.
United States of America

Post by pmodwrks »

ImageNice Michael, I built mine with the Deeks Wires, although a older, no longer in production set that came with the white metal wheels and nice rubber tires, this looks like another winner too....

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

It was suggested that I do a new grille - as I had entertained that thought, I decided to give it a go:

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Wow! Ultra serious and accurate stuff as usual.
It really seems something to get the SMERs into quite great kits.
Yes, the 3D grill is probably a better shot than the decal.
I tried mine from mesh, but what I obtained was just replacing the "h" for a "s"... a mess!!!
Nice stuff Michael, thanks for making. I think the Talbot is also a good idea. There are quite a few versions. Including one with fenders and headlights for Le Mans.
I have the Heller kit too, should you need some pic or info on it.

Bozothenutter
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
Netherlands

Post by Bozothenutter »

great news!

I remember there used to be a PE set for this which had the grille for it.

any plans for Talbot stuff?

mobiusone
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by mobiusone »

Yes Yes Michael! I'll literally buy all of these! Take my money just take it! :P Can't wait to see all the goodies
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna