Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by dr_gn »

Indy1977TX wrote:It looks great. So why did you go darker on the rotors than the example you have? Does it lighten with time?

Jordan
Thanks!

They're not darker, it's just that the real disc is used, and glazed, so if it catches the light in a certain way it looks lighter. With diffuesd light they look like this:

So mine now look lighter. They are such a complex composition of shades and textures, they are pretty much impossible to replicate exactly (much like carbon/epoxy on other components). I don't like using gloss on scale models unless it's unavoidable (ie bodywork), so I've represented them as new. I think the NATO black base is a good compromise.

Redbox
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Lotus, Williams
Italy

Post by Redbox »

Great detail on those discs! Bravo

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Redbox wrote:Great detail on those discs! Bravo
Thanks Redbox!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Made a start on the callipers - cleaning up the mould lines, removing the bleed bumps and drilling for metal versions. Also drilled out the sides ready to fit the resin banjo unions:

Now for a thin dark wash, painting the pads and fitting the transfer pipes and hydraulic fittings.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Bit more work on the callipers, painted the bodies Vallejo gold/chrome silver, with a very thin dark wash. Pads NATO black to match the disc base colour. Also added some heat sensitive paint stripes to match the discs:

Still a lot to do - decals, satin coat, bleed nipples, transfer pipes & nuts and pad retainers & bolts. The tape is just so I can keep them matched to their discs so that only their best respective sides are visible...

RookieDetail
Formula e
Formula e

Post by RookieDetail »

beautiful work, thanks for sharing it so extensively! hope to build my MP4/6 soon, your process is an inspiration!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

RookieDetail wrote:beautiful work, thanks for sharing it so extensively! hope to build my MP4/6 soon, your process is an inspiration!
Thanks, no problem!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

I used some Mr.Surfacer to fill the small gaps between the p/e and the plastic on the brake ducts:

Last time I used carbon decals was on the XJR-9 many years ago. I started by applying tape to the surface to make a template:

Then cut out the profile on the decal sheet, plus a bit for good luck:

After applying to the duct with copious amounts of MicroSol and heat, the result was a perfect wrinkled mess. So into the trusty pot of brake fluid:

I should have re-read my XJR-9 thread. I’d have reminded myself that these decals need to be applied to flat, or single curved surfaces; they hate compound curves. I must have been thinking about the wood grain decals I used on the ‘bare’ DH Mosquito, which seemed to conform to anything. Oh well, now to make many more templates...

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

At least I got my fasteners order through from Bestbalsa kits in Belgium. Very good service, and I think the new TS brass bolts will look great in the appropriate places:

Thanks Wim!

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

glad to be of any asistance re this very nice project. Impressive skills.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...