Bobby Rahal Miller 1998 Renyard Ford

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
MGBrown
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Bobby Rahal Miller 1998 Renyard Ford

Post by MGBrown »

Reynard's Indy Cars dominated the ChampCar and early IRL series- scoring many wins including the 1995 Indy 500 with Jacques Villeneuve, 1996 Indy 500 with Buddy Lazier. Reynard dominated CART/IRL racing from 1995 to 2000 with only occasional wins by other constructors.

The Monogram Indy Reynard is one of my favorite open wheel kits, and Bobby Rahal is one of my favorite drivers and Racing personalities. Because of this, I built this model to show my support and enthusiasm.

The build uses Speedline decals and some modifications, meant to represent how the car appeared at Mid-Ohio (Rahal finished 3rd), but is otherwise an out of the box build. The decals represent the 1998 scheme which is different than the decals in the kit which are for the 1999 scheme.

I took a different approach to the kit seam between the top and bottom of the chassis; can you see it? The radiator exits were also fully opened up as they appeared at some road course events. To avoid a "hollow" look, radiators were scratch built.

The model was displayed at a local hobby shop and was returned damaged- I haven't taken the time yet to repair it.

Next up is restart building Robby Gordon's colorful Menards Reynard.
Last edited by MGBrown on Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyPerry
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Bobby Rahal Miller 1998 Renyard Ford

Post by AndyPerry »

Beautiful work, MGBrown! Very very well done!

F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Mr MGBrown, my favorite CART Renyard, and you did one heck of a job......too bad about the damage......for that reason, I no longer loan out models, they always seem to return not how they left :evil:
Nice clean sharp build.
Thanks for sharing this with us......refreshing.
Rick
I feel the need, the need for speed.........

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Stunning Build :D ! These Cart/Indycars should show up here more often.

Topic author
MGBrown
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by MGBrown »

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. I hoped to inspire others to pick up one of these kits with photos of a completed one.

Something to note is if the car you are building had O.Z. or BBS wheels & to purchase the kit that has what you need included!

My memory was faulty in originally saying this was built as a Replica of the Road America car; it has to be as the car appeared at Mid-Ohio. Can you tell the reason why? (Hint- it's not the decoration or paint job)

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Very nice. I always liked that paint scheme and you have captured it well.

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

MGBrown wrote:Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. I hoped to inspire others to pick up one of these kits with photos of a completed one.

Something to note is if the car you are building had O.Z. or BBS wheels & to purchase the kit that has what you need included!

My memory was faulty in originally saying this was built as a Replica of the Road America car; it has to be as the car appeared at Mid-Ohio. Can you tell the reason why? (Hint- it's not the decoration or paint job)

Mission accomplished. I will be looking for multiple copies of this kit. Yours looks amazing. Well done.

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Very nice looks great

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

MGBrown wrote:My memory was faulty in originally saying this was built as a Replica of the Road America car; it has to be as the car appeared at Mid-Ohio. Can you tell the reason why? (Hint- it's not the decoration or paint job)
Too much wing to be fast on the long straights at Elkhart Lake, right?

My favorite kit of all time. Good creativity with the decal work and radiator. What did you use to make the radiator? I think it looks good. If you open up the exhaust exit again, shoot me a PM, I have an idea that you might like.

The build looks good - sorry about the damage but it is nice to see a Reynard at a model show.

Jordan

Topic author
MGBrown
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by MGBrown »

Indy1977TX wrote:Too much wing to be fast on the long straights at Elkhart Lake, right?
The pits at Mid-Ohio fuel from the left and the pits at Road America fuel from the right.