Review: Top Studio McLaren MP4/4 Superdetail Set

Kit reviews

Cpcrochet
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: Review: Top Studio McLaren MP4/4 Superdetail Set

Post by Cpcrochet »

I started this built about 2 months ago and i can tell you that it is a fantastic detail set.All the pieces fit very well and are very well cast.I received this week the super detail set for the Yamaha 2008 and,WOW,those kit are incredible.

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Mexico

Post by Husker »

Any plans to post a WIP? Would love to see it!
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Cpcrochet
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Cpcrochet »

If it's ok,i can post some pics in this thread.May be i will start a WIP when i have solved the problem of the carbon fiber on the front of the monocoque.

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

I have often thought about the color of the monocoque on the early MP4 series McLarens. The color seems to change in every picture. It seems black, green, orangeish or sort of metallic. I think it depends on what color it is reflecting. My understanding of this is in the early days of carbon fiber chassis construction, they would lay the cloth in the mold “reversed” from the inside, and the weave pattern is on the inside of the tub. So I guess what shows on the outside is the resin. How to reproduce this? I had thought about metallic green covered with Tamiya smoke. I haven’t tried it yet.

I too have this TS MP4/4 kit and I think it is next on my to do pile. I have the S27 CF decal sheet for this car, but this part of the tub looks like standard weave, which isn’t correct. I see MFH has a couple of products that may reproduce this color
One is a decal. From the picture it looks like it may do the trick. I have ordered this, but have not received it yet.

http://www.hlj.com/product/MFHP974

The other is a paint which they call “carbon under color”. Has anyone tried this? I haven’t figured out how to order this as yet.
http://www.modelfactoryhiro.com/mfh/d-part/c702.html

Has anyone figured out a way to replicate this finish? The decal seems like the best bet to me.
Attachments
c-702.jpg
mfhp974.jpg

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

The closest model replicating the 4/4 CF to the original that I've seen is Jaykay's, but all the CF used was printed by him and on top he gave it several coats of translucent colors and smoke IIRC. I'll check if the thread here still exists if not I'll post a link to his AF thread.

BTW, for those who have seen Jaykay's build; Isn't the Top Studio kit surprisingly similar to what he did there? Jk, if you're reading this, what do you think? You still went beyond what the kit offers but since the first time I saw pictures I thought they were, lets say "inspired" by your build, some parts are too close to be a coincidence IMO. Wanted to bring that up to read others opinions but forgot until now.

I really hope to see that one finished one day! tsk tsk ;)

Edit> Here: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... p?t=444745

I thought there was a thread about it here as well but couldn't find anything.
Twitter: @StardustSR / Completed: 1/5 McLaren MP4/8 / In Progress: Renault RE30B / Sasol Jordan 192

Cpcrochet
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Cpcrochet »

Husker wrote:
BTW, for those who have seen Jaykay's build; Isn't the Top Studio kit surprisingly similar to what he did there? Jk, if you're reading this, what do you think? You still went beyond what the kit offers but since the first time I saw pictures I thought they were, lets say "inspired" by your build, some parts are too close to be a coincidence IMO. Wanted to bring that up to read others opinions but forgot until now.
I asked myself the same question when i saw Jaykay's built,there are many part that are almost identical.I must say that i was inspired by his fantastic work to go a bit further on my MP 4/4,but,i don't have his skills,and i'm just trying to replicate the complex CF paterns.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I hope JayKay does not mind that. May be there was a cooperation after all. I called for cooperation on Jordan 191 WIP thread. Wouldn't you want
another trans-kit, say for Jordan 191 "inspired" by that build, from TopStudio ? I would love one. Actually I would love more, the more the better.
I just wish there was an actual cooperation. I think that would be ideal - JayKay doing what he loves - making and designing parts and somebody else
making commercial product from those. Everyone can dream, right ?
Cpcrochet wrote:
Husker wrote:
I asked myself the same question when i saw Jaykay's built,there are many part that are almost identical.I must say that i was inspired by his fantastic work to go a bit further on my MP 4/4,but,i don't have his skills,and i'm just trying to replicate the complex CF paterns.

Husker
Midfield
Midfield
Mexico

Post by Husker »

lezdep wrote:I hope JayKay does not mind that. May be there was a cooperation after all. I called for cooperation on Jordan 191 WIP thread. Wouldn't you want
another trans-kit, say for Jordan 191 "inspired" by that build, from TopStudio ? I would love one. Actually I would love more, the more the better.
I just wish there was an actual cooperation. I think that would be ideal - JayKay doing what he loves - making and designing parts and somebody else
making commercial product from those. Everyone can dream, right ?
I totally would love something based on his 191 and I too hope that they have spoken to JayKay about this cooperation, if there was one.

drledford93
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by drledford93 »

I built the Fuj MP4/6 and used a combo of colors for the tub and it worked beautifully. It was copper, smoke, black and a little gold. It really works well. You have to just do trial and error. The metals are very, very light but very noticeable as the real car is. I'd suggest just getting your airbrush out and trying. Put the CF decals away---you won't need them. Do what Tamiya and Fuj did--etch the tub with a very rough emery board in one direction, similar to normal CF. Then paint. The result is fantastic when you get the paint right.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Johnson has finished the MP 4/4 demo build (pdf file). STUNNING :D :D :D
http://www.topstudiohobby.com/
Br
Allan
Br
Allan