Shadow DN5 1/20 scale

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
heezonit
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Shadow DN5 1/20 scale

Post by heezonit »

Well this is my first post in WIP, it should be titled "Work in Limbo", however my discovery of this fine site has given me new encouragement to get back at this project. If you'll allow me to tell a little story about this project. Approximately 5 years ago I wa looking through a model car magazine and saw a photo of a built Shadow DN5 and thought that it is a most cool F1 car that I had forgotten about. Somehow within the year, I came across the Iritani version of it, ordered the model and built it. Took a long time to build and was quite the challenge. Now several years later, I am at Road America for the Brain Redman Historic Races. I brought my Iritani model which was displayed alongside a Tamiya McLaren M23 which I had built. My intention was to show this model to the gentleman who drove the actual DN5 at the Historics. The previous year I had talked with one of his crew who said that he was sure the driver of the car would like to see the model. Anyway, I finally talked to the driver, he said bring it to him, I ran back to my car, the driver took a liking to the model and offered to purchase it and the McLaren. Turns out his son was the driver of the M23 at Road Amercia, it was the Chesterfield version though. So I sold the cars to him and was immediately wondering why I did that and if I could ever find another DN5. Well, the answer to many of my modeling wishes, Bill Jorgenson, had made this car! So my WIP is the Jorgenson version. The pictures are of the WIP and also a few pictures of pictures (old style) that I took of the real DN5 and the driver with my Iritani model! As with my previous pics, sorry for the quality.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Shadow DN5 1/20 scale

Post by Jeff »

Very cool car, I've always liked this one. And very nice story as well about the drivers buying your models.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Hello, nice going and great story.Did you know that Iritani did a second release of the DN5..better decals and smoother resin than the first version..

Alex Nahooy.

RossiM1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by RossiM1 »

Nice job heez,I would love to get hold of the Embassy Lola in 20th Graham Hills car,surprised that someone like Ace or Iritani have'nt produced one,that Shadow is a lovely car,how does the Jorgensen version compare to the Iritani one?is it any easier to build?
Look forward to seeing the finished build,good luck.

ATB
Gary

Topic author
heezonit
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by heezonit »

RossiM1 wrote:that Shadow is a lovely car,how does the Jorgensen version compare to the Iritani one?is it any easier to build?
Gary
The Iritani is a complete kit, the Jorgenson a conversion, so you will need a Wolf or Williams kit from Tamiya (sorry if you already knew this!) Someone posted earlier that the Iritani is now a 2nd generation kit, mine was probably a 1st gen. I think the Jorgenson has "nailed" the chassis shape better and I certainly like the "Indycals" that I used on this kit!

atlantakat1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by atlantakat1 »

I just bought the 2d gen. Iritani Shadow kit - TNT has it for a good price. The resin cast is very clean and the shape looks good. The kit includes a Tamiya Cosworth and gearbox sprue. I ordered the Indycals sheet too because I had heard the original kit decals were substandard but the kit decals look fine. I will still use the Indycals set as they are the best (shameless plug).

All in all I was very pleased with the quality of the Iritani kit. I hope I feel that way after I start building it....