WIP: 1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F60

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

jonouk1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: WIP: 1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F60

Post by jonouk1 »

Can you get TS-85 in the UK?

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

Unfortunately, you can't buy any Tamiya TS paints in the UK. There is no time frame on when, or if, they will be available again.
Mark

Nickcsi
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Nickcsi »

i managed to get some of Ebay, from a guy in hong kong. I payed more for it than you would have in a shop, but it arrived pretty quickly. Well, quickly for the royal mail... :lol:
Be GENETCIALLY DIFFERENT, baby!
Follow me on twitter- @Nick47CRG

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

what's with the gap on the green stripe tire decals? is that supposed to be there?

Topic author
De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:what's with the gap on the green stripe tire decals? is that supposed to be there?
That is what I don't get too. I can only think of two reasons. Either that they fit to all 2009 kits from S27, E-Jan and Tamiya since all tyres are a bit different or simply to save space on the decal sheet...

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

i had to cut some green off my decals to make them fit the tamiya wheels: (5mm)

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Decs0105 wrote:
Mr.Grumpy wrote:what's with the gap on the green stripe tire decals? is that supposed to be there?
That is what I don't get too. I can only think of two reasons. Either that they fit to all 2009 kits from S27, E-Jan and Tamiya since all tyres are a bit different or simply to save space on the decal sheet...
I'd primarily go with "saving space on the decal sheet". It's better to use than half circles i'd say but still gives you the possibilty to fit them to various tyres. On the other hand, cutting a full circle decal yourself to achieve that isn't exactly witchcraft :-)

Topic author
De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by De21 »

jaykay wrote:On the other hand, cutting a full circle decal yourself to achieve that isn't exactly witchcraft :-)
or painting them by hand http://blog.kawaharamodel.com/?page=1 :lol:

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

nah....still rather go with the decals :-)

Maybe if you mount the tires to the lathe....:-)

Topic author
De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Germany

Post by De21 »

next update!

I am still busy with sanding, drilling and preparing all the parts for painting but I am getting there. I sprayed the last layer of grey primer yesterday (hopefully).

I decided to remove the gearbox from the engine, simply to have it a bit easier with painting and CF decals.
Once I did that (advise to anyone who wants to do it too, do it before glueing the parts together, that will be a lot easier :wink: ) I glued a piece of styrene to the engine, so I can just "slide" the gearbox in place. Furthermore I added some proper "pins" to the exhaust which makes testfitting a lot easier :wink:.

Next step was to glue the LED backlight in place. It is a clear plastic part so I painted the inside silver first and I will later remove the paint with some careful sanding. To my surprise the clear part didn't fit perfect in fact the shape was different and a bit smaller compared to rest of the rear crash structure. Anyway I just used a bit more glue so I could use the excess as filler.

An then I rescribed the "seam" with a 0.15mm chisel.

drilling out and sanding the exhaust tip as described in the last update worked quite good...

Another little flaw on the kit is this part, which is right in front of the engine. I actually don't know what it is maybe some kind of pump (if anyone know, please let me know :wink). The thing is it is not "solid" and you can still see that when the part is in place... :cry: So again more putty needed and while I was at it I also filled some more pin marks on the back of the steering wheel. (I also found 2 more on the undertray :twisted:)

Back to the body parts. The panel lines around the exhaust outlet are really "light". At first I thought it would be ok but after seeing them with primer I decided to rescribe them too. You almost can't see them on the pic on the left, right side already taped as a guideline.

And a pic after rescribing and some sanding. I also removed the moulded washers or infact enlarged them to later add some PE bolt heads. The "holes" for the bolts are 0,7mm and 0,9mm for the washers around the exhaust exit. I'll use some of the tiny Model Car Garage PE parts.

The "holes" look huge here but as you can see with the washer and bolt in place it looks ok and there is still some paint missing :wink:. Incase you can't find the PE parts, both are pretty much right in the middle of the pic :lol:

Just two random pics, I love the look of an F1 kit in primer :lol: :lol:
(notice the little exhaust tips in these huge outlet "holes", looks hideous :wink:. The late season car looks so much better :roll:)
Last edited by De21 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.