Speed build:Scuderia Italia Dallara BMS-188

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Speed build:Scuderia Italia Dallara BMS-188

Post by Dalin1 »

Well, I am in. Ok, I know that I am late, and I know it's a funny thing speaking about me and speed building at the same time (I still haven't finished my 2009 GB see here), but... I will give it another try!

It's a Dallara BMS-188, raced by Scuderia Italia team in 1988, team entering one car in each race, driven by Alex Caffi. Successes? None, best grid result 10th, closest to points was in Portugal with 7th place, finished 7 races in the year, qualified in all but one of them, failing to go through pre-qualifying in Canada.
It's still a very nice car, though, I have just received it today, and decided this is my next attempt after the bloody exhausting modern McLarens full of carbon and winglets.

Modelfactory Hiro "light line" 1/20 kit looks very nice and simple...
IMG_0010.JPG
Dalin
Last edited by Dalin1 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Scuderia Italia Dallara BMS-188

Post by CaptainMark »

Another kit I didn't even know existed - very cool!
Image Image

emsquared
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by emsquared »

Nice!
I ordered this when it was first announced. In the 'to do' pile like so many others...
But I will be watching your build as this one actually will become a completed model some day!
One question: I may be wrong, but I think the airbox (probably the detail that 'got me' the most on this particular car) is moulded solid. Any idea on how to tackle this? Will you carefully open this area up as far as possible using a dremel tool?
Cheers, and good luck with this build. Very excited!
Michael

tonym
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by tonym »

I'm glad to see this one. I intend to build this one in 2010 too, maybe immediately after my current build. I'll look forward to seeing your comments.
Where did you get yours from, I see it is listed at TNT Hobbies and Model Factory Hiro Online, if you translate their web page.
Regards
Tony
Kits Wanted:

AMC Tyrrell 020B conversion
AMC Tyrrell 020C conversion

Please PM if you want to sell one.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looking forward to seeing this one come together, rare car.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Shunter wrote:Looking forward to seeing this one come together, rare car.
Me too :!:
Good luck with the build.
Atb,Alexp.

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

emsquared wrote: One question: I may be wrong, but I think the airbox (probably the detail that 'got me' the most on this particular car) is moulded solid. Any idea on how to tackle this? Will you carefully open this area up as far as possible using a dremel tool?
Cheers, and good luck with this build. Very excited!
Michael
Hello,
yes, you are right, it is moulded solid, unfortunately, but I have already open it, the drilling took a bit of time but was not that hard. Now I will have to chase some cylinders to be placed under the engine cover...
Also, the car has ventilation ribbing at rear section of the sidepods, also moulded solid, which I will have to remove and make new from a plastic sheet.
tonym wrote:I'm glad to see this one. I intend to build this one in 2010 too, maybe immediately after my current build. I'll look forward to seeing your comments.
Where did you get yours from, I see it is listed at TNT Hobbies and Model Factory Hiro Online, if you translate their web page.
Regards
Tony
I bought mine from http://www.raccoon-auto.com, they charged some small extra service fee as this kit looks not to be standard available.

Also, made some research, it is quite tough to find photos of the car, but the decals in the kit seem to be limiting number of options as it corresponds to some early GPs, Monaco version looks most probable. If anyone has any pic view a rear view of the car, by any chance, I would be very grateful, though the kit won't go into any major detailing, certainly.

Thanks for your responses so far! I have just started the kit and hope to place some more photos soon :-)
Dalin

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

OK, so - the hole in the engine cover is now drilled, ventilation ribbing in the sidepods are newly scratchbuilt as the originals were molded in one piece... The body needs some more sanding and puttying and will be ready for primer :-)
Dalin
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

I hope these are of some help to you. Not sure of the owners to these images so if anyone has an issue let me know and i will remove.

Topic author
Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Shunter wrote:I hope these are of some help to you. Not sure of the owners to these images so if anyone has an issue let me know and i will remove.
Wow, I have almost all of them, but the first one rear view of the car is a great help!
Thanks a lot!
Dalin