1/20 Benetton B195

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Pumba298
Formula e
Formula e

1/20 Benetton B195

Post by Pumba298 »

Hey all,

Well, here we go, after reading and learning from all the excellent wips on F1m for over a year I finally decided to start my first wip.
The subject will be the Benetton B195 this car is kind of special to me as it reminds me of the time when I started watching F1
(26 now). Even though I never was a big schumacher fan (I was always an Alesi fan :) ) this car and the Ferrari and Williams of the time bring back a lot of memories.

The Acedemy kit looks to my untrained eye as a reasonable kit, but it needs a lot of work to make it the way I want to make it.
I started by building and painting the engine block.

And yes, I know the part in the right lower part of the block is supposed to be black, I'll get to that :)

So far I made a new an oilcooler, improved springs and right now I'm making the electronic box that sits just behind the engine. When those are done and attached to the engine I'll post pictures.

I'm also working on correcting the monocoque as acedemy decided to save some styrene and just leave a bit out.
Pictures of this will follow when there's something to show

Best regards,

Jan

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Re: 1/20 Benetton B195

Post by Dede »

Good Work, hope to see more soon,
This kit does get some stick but I built it way back in 2001 and am happy with how it turned out, I recommend the F1 Specialties decals to complete the kit correctly, here: http://www.f1specialties.com/main/conversions/b95.php they will much improve the finish...
Dede.

Topic author
Pumba298
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Pumba298 »

Thanks for the tip, I was planning to use those as I'm building the car MSC raced at Spa in 1995.
But at this rate the need for decals is quite some time away with work taking up a lot of my time :)

Jan

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Hey Jan,

Some new 1/20 B195 decals coming next month you might want to wait and check out
http://www.hlj.com/product/MCLDC-526
Dede.

Topic author
Pumba298
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Pumba298 »

Thanks for the spot!!
I've been trying to hunt the mc decal sheet down for some time now, but everywhere it's sold out.
I hope it's the same as they previously issued, on the other hand, any decal sheet is probably better
than the one Acedemy put with the kit. I did a quick tryout of the decals on the helmet and they were
very brittle.
I'll use the scan I pickud from hiroboy as a template for the masking and when I'm done with the painting
the decals should be out :)

Preorder placed, thanks,

Jan

CBartholomew4677
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Chris Bartholomew
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Forza Ferrari!!!
United States of America

Post by CBartholomew4677 »

Yeah, the original Academy decals are nearly impossible to use, very brittle :? . You can use some of the small sponsor logos, which are on flat surfaces, but be careful as they tend to stick immediately and any attempt at moving them simply shreds them. They need to be "flooded" with water/Micro-sol to position them. Better yet, throw them away and use an after-market set :wink: .
Cheers,
Chris

Topic author
Pumba298
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Pumba298 »

Hey all, a short update, and a question :)
First of all, the B195 is on hold for a while, while completing the engine I accidentaly dropped it, breaking off some parts and giving me a lot more work on the kit than I want in my week off :) I'll definately finish the kit, but I decided to first start a new kit just to keep my happiness up for modelling as the Benetton was giving me more grief than pleasure.
Right now I started a Tamiya mp4/8, another one where I was really looking forward to, it'll be my first time working with zero paints, so if that works out ok, I'll have to find out the colors of benetton in zero paints :)

A quick question, I'm planning to build the kit based on a picture I got where Senna is watching the monitor in front of the cockpit during qualify, but finding good pictures of that actual monitor is proving to be rather difficult. I found one picture but there they used a monitor hung up above the car. What I want to make is a monitor that sits in front of the driver with the driver in the car looking at that monitor.
So way too long story short :) does anyone have pictures of those monitors (don't know the actual name) preferably the mclaren one, from season 1993, but I guess 1991 to 1995 should be ok too.