Overhauling a Protar 1/12 126 C2

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Overhauling a Protar 1/12 126 C2

Post by mazyen »

Greetings,
Thought I join this forum & post a WIP to keep myself focused, as lately, I've trouble finishing any kits 100%.
Here is my Protar kit built in 1988 found in storage & thought I'll overhaul it after getting the decal sets from Indycals. As can be seen from the photos' captions this kit has travelled quite a bit. I plan just to touch up the bits that are completely stuck & re spray the whole bodywork. Bought a roll of aluminium sticker foil which I will experiment with sticking it to the chassis. it has stuck to the rear wing quite well. Won't be do any super detailing as it may drive me nuts.
Anyway here are some of the progress photos so far, mainly dismantling of parts.
All suggestions & comments are most welcome.
Cheers
Attachments
0001.jpg
0002.jpg
0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg
0007.jpg

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Re: Overhauling a Protar 1/12 126 C2

Post by mazyen »

A quick progress update. Completed the grey priming & waiting for it to harden before sanding & then white primer. Have also started on the aluminium sticker to the chassis which had to be done in sections with a few template cutouts. Goes on quite well though, however the sticker is very thin & the overlap shows. The dry out tires with numerous cracks are patched up with super glue, sanded, logos repainted with polycarbonate paint & "armourall" applied to moisture them.
Attachments
0008.jpg
0009.jpg
0010.jpg
0011.jpg

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Thanks for posting - I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

HI,
Been busy at work lately therefore not in the mood to model for a while.
Anyway got the domestic project going again & here are a couple of pics to show it. Got all the aluminium stickers onto the tub at last & the grey body sanded, primed white & sanded again. Hopefully can get it shot red this week.
Can anybody tell me how to repair or replace broken suspension wishbones & control arms etc. Most of them are broken at the joint where the screws go.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
0012.jpg
0013.jpg

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Hello again,
Managed to get the car "on the road" at last & while doing that nearly lost my patience. The suspensions bits are all bent or broken & this takes me a long while to sort out as they are too weak to take any more weight. The rear suspension brackets are also out of shape after all these years thereby misaligning the rear wheels. In the end I decided just to epoxy glue them fixed after placing the car at the correct ride ht. Got a coat of red on the body too & then proceed to split the same repaired crack again! That's why you see putty on the red paint.
Will probably sand off the engraved Good Years & get them sprayed on with a stencil.
Anybody knows where I can purchase a set of new Good Years for this C2 as mine is not round anymore.
Cheers
Attachments
0014.jpg
0015.jpg

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

This is coming along really nicely!

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Disaster! My epoxy glued suspensions cannot even take the wt of the tires!
While handling it they decided to disintegrate on me & are now in bits & pcs. The plastic has gone all brittle! Got them all removed again & will wait for inspiration before tackling them again.
Got the tires painted with the stencil that came with my 641 Museum Collections decals. Only done the outside & will not do the inside as they are also close to disintegrating as new cracks start to appear on the walls while sanding off the embossed logos.
Well, here's are a few pics of the problems.
Will concentrate on finishing the cowling next.
Attachments
0016.jpg
0017.jpg
0018.jpg

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Your nice pictures of this classsic racing car makes me want to build my fujimi's 126c2 though I don't rate Ferrari Racing Team that high at the moment :)

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Only been working on the body. Managed to spray on several coats of red, got it polished followed by a few coats of clear, all paints from Tamiya decanted into an airbrush. At present away from home in Serengeti for a few days, which will also give the clear paint time to harden. Should be able to get the clear polished & indycaled once I am back in town this weekend. Still have not figured out how to sort out the brittle & broken suspensions though.
All suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
Attachments
0019.jpg

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Hi,
The slow story so far.
Got the body polished & decaled last night. Hopefully can get a further few coats of clear on this evening. The horse & the "Fiat" seems a tag too large though. However found a pic on the internet showing nearly the same size, so "PHEW!" Have yet to resolve the suspension problem though as there ain't no hobby shop here to source for parts & accs.
Can anybody tell me which race is this kit with this adverts' configuration meant for? :D
Attachments
0021.jpg
0020.jpg