Tamiya Lotus 49B 1:12th

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

h.kruithof
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Harm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Emerson Fittipaldi
Netherlands

Re: Tamiya Lotus 49B 1:12th

Post by h.kruithof »

No, no. Black. Red steering wheels were found in the green Loti.

Harm

Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

h.kruithof wrote:No, no. Black. Red steering wheels were found in the green Loti.

Harm
See:

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Black steering wheel is right in 68' cars. Red ones where used previously because was a colour prefered by Jim Clark

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Forget to say that chassis is probably painted medium grey. I have seen a 49b of the Classic Team Lotus and saw the chassis painted grey. I was surprised and asked to one of the mechanics (not a young man) if this was the original colour and answer was yes so take account of that in a future project. I have some pictures of the car.

Topic author
Chewbacca
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Chewbacca »

Joaquin wrote:Forget to say that chassis is probably painted medium grey. I have seen a 49b of the Classic Team Lotus and saw the chassis painted grey. I was surprised and asked to one of the mechanics (not a young man) if this was the original colour and answer was yes so take account of that in a future project. I have some pictures of the car.
Yeh, I got some PDF's from "Modelersite.com" and the detail pics all show the chassis in grey rather than bare metal. I used a gloss medium grey and then a thinned down matt black wash, that was rubbed off immediatly, it then leaves dirt in the corners and a used/unclean look on the rest of the paint.

Chewy :D

Post by Guest »

Great job!

definitely think the steering wheel should be red too. I just build a Lotus 25 and I believe the steering wheel was red for that whole monocoque era.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Chewbacca wrote:Hi,

Quick update on progress so far. I've finished the front end less brakes and wheels. The dashboard is now installed, complete with weathering and cables etc.

Just starting the rear end, preping up exhausts, suspension and oil tank.
I am afraid this is wrong. The Lotus 49 B did as far as I know NOT have the oiltank behind the water cooler. This was the case for the Lotus 49, but one major update for the B version was to move it on top of the gearbox. The Tamiya kit is wrong :( .
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

h.kruithof
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Harm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Emerson Fittipaldi
Netherlands

Post by h.kruithof »

The Tamiya kit is NOT a 49B even if the box says it is. It is the 49 in red and white colours. They included the saddle oil tank, the wings and two holes in the nose cone. If you build the kit straight from the box you can do a Tasman version or Graham's 68 Spanish Grand Prix winner. The 49B first appeared at Monaco.
Alan, you are right: on the B version the oil tank was moved to the gear box. The space at the front was needed for the (deep) nose ducts. Tamiya's ducts are completely wrong.Apart from that the front and rear suspension were changed (substantially) on the B-car. If you want to find out all the differences there is one source: Michael Oliver's book.

Harm