WIP FW06

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WIP FW06

Post by jordan »

builder77 wrote:Alex
Great work on this build.
What white paint did you use and what did you use to put the rear wing together?
CA, Epoxy etc.
Thanks and looking forward to more progress!
Chris
Chris, I mostly use spraycans from a car shop..a very common brand in Europe is " Motip" and this one is # 45310..Most important
is using the same white for other Williams cars of that era..(FW07 ..FW08..etc )...When I put a rear wing together I mostly use CA glue..I am not a big fan of epoxy glue, I only use it when I have no other possibility..
I try to make a small wooden " jig" so all parts of the wing would have support when building..
I paint all the separate wing parts and than glue them together but you can also glue everything together first and than paint it..but that
does not work for me..I also make sure to sand or scrape off the sides that make contact because the paint will "melt" when CA is aplied
and this can make sirious stains ...There is no "golden rule" to do things..just experience and common sense..

Alex Nahooy.

Topic author
jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

...Not much news..Being an idiot ( said so myself..) :mrgreen: I dropped the rear wing.. :roll: and while I am waiting for my hose and
fittings to arrive ( so I can finish the engine..) I decided to simultaniously build the Williams FW07..guess I am in my Williams periode..
It will be Williams first GP win car that was being driven by Rega at the British GP 1979... :wink:
MMhhmmm... :mrgreen: still got the finish my BT46 Surface cooler car..and my M26 Löwenbrau...and a few others.. :oops: :oops:

Alex Nahooy.

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Alex, Sorry to hear of your mishap with the wing and trust it'll be ok. It happens to us all from time to time!
Atb,Alexp.

Topic author
jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

...Ok..setback again..decided not to re-glue the dropped rear wing because the hardened CA glue did torn chips of the paint
all around..
...I removed all the paint and will re-paint the end plates and because of the weight of the main wing (metal) I decided to relpace it for
the Tamiya FW07 plastic part that has exactly the same dimensions...Ordered a new decals sheet @ mediamixhobby and were off again
in a few days..hopefully..
In between other builds I picked op again the build of one that has been a sleep for a few months... :? :oops:

Alex Nahooy.
Attachments
DSCI0048.JPG

steveoccc
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by steveoccc »

jordan wrote:Ordered a new decals sheet @ mediamixhobby and were off again in a few days..hopefully..

Mediamix hobby has FW-07 decals back in stock? You just made my day!
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" - Robert A. Heinlein

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

Hi Alex,
Hope it all works out with the "06" wing and good luck with the Shadow,if you need any hints or tips on it please mail me.
Atb. Alexp.