Topic author
Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

McLaren MP4-22 kit - in 1/8 scale!

Post by Obi-Jiff »

Thought you might like to see a link I came across:

http://buildmclaren.deagostini.co.uk/#

A new partwork magazine with parts to build a 1/8 scale model of the McLaren MP4-22 as driven by Lewis Hamilton to win the 2007 Canadian GP. I'm not aware if this will be available outside the UK, I'm afraid.

Assuming I like what I see in the first issue, I'll be subscribing to this baby - I could never afford the cost of an Amalgam 1/8 model, so this is the only way for me to get something in this scale. Being a partwork means the cost is spread over however many issues there are, which is also good for me.
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: McLaren MP4-22 kit - in 1/8 scale!

Post by jaykay »

What is the price then? Can't find it on that website...

First i thought they are selling yet another Kyosho RC car but i was surprised to see this is static. Looks interesting. I wonder who makes that "kit" !?

taliesen
Midfield
Midfield

Post by taliesen »

Meh, it's UK only dammit . . .

1.99 first issue, 5.99 each subsequent (in pounds, can't remember code to make the symbol). No mention of how many total before you have all of the parts, though.
Jonathan

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

taliesen wrote:Meh, it's UK only dammit . . .

1.99 first issue, 5.99 each subsequent (in pounds, can't remember code to make the symbol). No mention of how many total before you have all of the parts, though.
It could end up being twice as much as the model on its own.
I know the concept from magazines where you buy a RC car, piece by piece.

On another note: why the MP4/22 and not the 23 ???
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Interesting and tempting. But judging by number of parts in each issue, it'll take 50-100 of them to get all parts. I found number of parts in
first 3 issues from Info-pack PDF file they have available for download. So, my guess on total cost is 300-600GBP. Beside that at least 3-6 months
of waiting to collect all series. And I don't see how it could be guaranteed that you would actually receive all issues. Looks to me like some sort of scam
schema to sell a magazine, unfortunately.

How much does Amalgam model cost ? I could speculate, that they reached some sort of agreement and models could actually be made by Amalgam
or some sort of cheaper copy.

ejsmith
F2
F2

Post by ejsmith »

lezdep wrote:Interesting and tempting. But judging by number of parts in each issue, it'll take 50-100 of them to get all parts. I found number of parts in
first 3 issues from Info-pack PDF file they have available for download. So, my guess on total cost is 300-600GBP. Beside that at least 3-6 months
of waiting to collect all series. And I don't see how it could be guaranteed that you would actually receive all issues. Looks to me like some sort of scam
schema to sell a magazine, unfortunately.

How much does Amalgam model cost ? I could speculate, that they reached some sort of agreement and models could actually be made by Amalgam
or some sort of cheaper copy.
The RRP of an Amalgam is £2750 so I'd want to know how many magazines you'd have to buy before you had all the parts...
Tbh it looks more like something that slots together than a "kit" as we would know it so I don't think I would get any enjoyment out of it

gpman
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by gpman »

hi guys,
I too have just seen this part works McLaren, for me it's gonna be too expensive to fork out over 100 odd issues. I'm just going to satisfy myself with the first 2 issues and complete the nose/front wing assembly and then scratch a pit stand for it and display it in my cabinet! I guess its a very exciting way to get new people interested in F1 and modelling at the same time! cant be bad!! From what i have in my hands right now its not a bad quality model and assembly is by tiny allen key screws, so should be sturdy enough and at that scale very realistic!. I've not abandoned you guys, i've been beavering away at some little projects, but until i get my camera back from my mate!... i cant post anything on here. Needless too say what with the credit crunch the way it is, i'm restricting myself on what i buy and make. Some fantastic work is still being produced by you guys and i keep popping in too see what's new. keep it up guys
bye for now

Alex_Kung
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Post by Alex_Kung »

I will have to admit that it is an interesting way to sell a magazine. Too bad it didn't have more content and it does make owning a large scale model seem more affordable as the cost is spread out over a long period of time.

Topic author
Obi-Jiff
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Obi-Jiff »

I've emailed customer service to ask how many issues make up the complete collection. They say a reply should normally take two working days.
Some say he believes Star Wars is a documentary...

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

There probebly is a connection with Mclaren's shop.
https://www.mclarenshop.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 181_AMC014
More 1/8 models, also a mp4/6.
But don't know the manufactorer.