Scheivlak
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Ronald
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Netherlands

Re: What is Your Clear Coat of Choice?

Post by Scheivlak »

Thx guys! I guess I will take a try on the Aqua version.....

Ronald

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

jaydar wrote:
Scheivlak wrote:Anyone tried Alclad "Kleer Kote Gloss" or "Aqua Gloss Kleer"?

Ronald
I have only used it over am glad chrome like motorcycle forks. For that, it works very well to protect the shine without too much loss of gloss.

Joe.
Same to me, only use it for alclad or chrome paints, otherwise it makes no sence to me.
About too glossy models, well to me it is more a signature of the modeler and his way of modeling, i have no problems to give an older car full glossy shine, it`s my own kind of modeling and to others too i guess. When watching models of Andy Matthews you will find it all the way, and no washings or something like that is applied. His pieces are more a piece of art with his kind of thinking about it, i don`t judge about the way a paint job is absolutely to scale/year, just my 2 cent to this topic. Think about how hard it is to do a fully shiny paint job, you can only achive it with enough experience and that`s what these modelers are up for, it`s only another view on our hobby finaly.
Take a stand!

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I must admit that I prefer the clean look, No weathering or anything on F1 cars, whatever the era. Also with rally cars too. The only thing I weather, but I don't actually build them anymore are tanks, military vehicles etc. I think they look better with a lightly weathered finish..
Steve Noble

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

Icon_Modeler wrote:Personally, I build to what suits me. I don't mind if a model has more gloss than it's 1/1 counterpart ever did. I would rather know that my paint job and decals are protected and will last to the end of my life anyway so that I can enjoy them and not wish that the decals didn't peel off from age.
I feel totally the same as Derek. I personally like car models with well done shiny finishes, and it really bugs me seeing my old builds without clearcoats with edges of decals that have flaked off in places, most often caused when trying to gently dust the model using a soft paintbrush or soft cloth. Yes, some people will say that's what I get for not keeping my models in dust-proof display cases or cabinets. But not everyone is fortunate enough to afford or have space for that kind of model displaying.

On the subject of gloss level, I build to satisfy myself, and I happen to like glossy cars, and dead-flat camouflage schemes on fighter jets (my other modeling topic). But I realize that this is strictly a personal preference, and what I like doesn't mean someone else has to feel the same.

Cameron