Model Paint Safety Information

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Model Paint Safety Information

Post by Noddy »

daveyman wrote:Just get sponsorship from Red Bull and call it extreme modelmaking.
As long as I get the same protective suit as worn by Felix Baumgartner for his world record free fall I'm okay with Red Bull sponsorship and spraying 2K paints all day long.

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

This is incorrect. One certainly can get lead poisoning through the skin!

I restore and conserve a wide range of lead objects and I would never touch any of the objects without suitable hand protection. If sanding, grinding , drilling, soldering etc. then I use lab extraction, goggle's and a mask with (lead specific) filters.
Last edited by vontrips on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Everyone who has ever tried to order 2 part paint knows that there is something to it because of all of the countries that won't ship it by air but how many people think that through and wonder "gee, if it can't be shipped by air is there anything I need to know about using and storing it in my home?"
That's actually true of all paints not just 2k clear, including aerosols. Most postal services restrict their shipping by air, but people still send them anyway. Sometimes they get through and sometimes if picked up they will be confiscated and destroyed. If you store the 2k clear in its proper container it's safe to store. The danger is when it's mixed together with the hardener and atomized/sprayed, not when it's in its separate components.
Steve Noble

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SteveNoble wrote: That's actually true of all paints not just 2k clear, including aerosols. Most postal services restrict their shipping by air
I did not mean that only 2K paints were a problem only that the difficulty people have in obtaining them should imply that there is some danger to them. Apparently I didn't make that very clear.
SteveNoble wrote: The danger is when it's mixed together with the hardener and atomized/sprayed, not when it's in its separate components.
Going to have to disagree with you there. These chemicals are dangerous all of the time not just when mixed. The hardener contains Xylene which is hazardous in both inhalation and skin contact. Xylene causes depression of the central nervous system and signs of exposure would include headache, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. Xylene is known to cause liver damage when ingested.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

how do i know if the extractor fan i'm using is explosion proof?

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Mr.Grumpy wrote:how do i know if the extractor fan i'm using is explosion proof?
If you bought it as a complete spray booth then it should be in the manufacturer's information and I would certainly hope that it would be explosion proof. If you bought the fan separately you'd need to look up the motor and see if you can find out that way.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Noddy wrote: Going to have to disagree with you there. These chemicals are dangerous all of the time not just when mixed. The hardener contains Xylene which is hazardous in both inhalation and skin contact. Xylene causes depression of the central nervous system and signs of exposure would include headache, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. Xylene is known to cause liver damage when ingested.
There is no Xylene in either the 2k clear or the hardener. The only thing that contains Xylene is the thinner, as do most auto shop thinners. If the 2k clear and hardener are stored correctly in their unmixed components, with lids correctly on, they pose no danger whatsoever. When they are mixed and then atomised by spraying the resulting spray mist is the danger. The mixing of the components starts a chemical reaction, whereby the mist will ingest into the lungs and harden there. A normal paint doesn't harden in this way, it just air dries by evaporation. That's why a proper mask, gloves, eye and skin protection and a good spray booth is essential kit for working with 2k products. If you spray them without that, you're taking unnecessary risks to your health. I worked with 2k products some years ago when I was a body shop technician.
Not sure about the buying of them where you live, but in the UK you can go to any auto paint supplies shop and they will sell you 2k clear off the shelf with no problem, so there's no difficulty in obtaining such products. The bottom line is to be safe if you use them. If you aren't and you dismiss all the safety needs then you're just asking for trouble later. I've more or less cut down on my use of them, but finding an alternative clear with the same high gloss and easy application properties of 2k is hard.
Steve Noble

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SteveNoble wrote:
There is no Xylene in either the 2k clear or the hardener.
It's listed on the material safety data sheet.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Noddy wrote:
SteveNoble wrote:
There is no Xylene in either the 2k clear or the hardener.
It's listed on the material safety data sheet.
Yes, sorry, you are correct. I just looked on the Zero paints site and there is xylene in the 2k clear and hardener, my error. I think the whole point of this discussion, and it's been an interesting one is to all take extra care with all paints, not just the 2k products, because none of them are good to health if used incorrectly. But with the necessary safety gear all paints can be used safely. But never take chances, always be safe :)
Steve Noble

Topic author
Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

SteveNoble wrote:I think the whole point of this discussion, and it's been an interesting one is to all take extra care with all paints, not just the 2k products, because none of them are good to health if used incorrectly. But with the necessary safety gear all paints can be used safely. But never take chances, always be safe :)
Exactly.