turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Re: 1/12 new Sportscar by MFH

Post by turboF1 »

smb wrote:
MoFo wrote:It'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold any hope - they've never changed a part that's appeared in their preview pics before (ie. once it's cast in metal, that's the way it'll be in the kit).

That's what has me increasingly frustrated with MFH's stuff. They're 90% awesome, but that extra 10% is just frustratingly inferior. I just wish they'd take a more Tameo-like approach and be *more* multimedia - more etch, more turned and machined parts... These radiators are a good example, as are the instrument panels; a PE vent and some etched bezels make the Mini Delta version seem much more realistic. And don't get me started on all the un-filled rivet holes.

I know I'll probably catch a ton of flak for saying it, since MFH are almost sacred here... I just wish they'd tweak their process and go from making nice kits to astonishing ones.

Wow, that is a pretty hard argument to swallow. Who defines what is a nice kit versus an astonishing kit? Everything is relative. When compared to other kits, especially 1/12, MFH has no peers. Hence they are by definition at the top of the curve. Please don't cite some obscure kit that is unobtainable or out of production. If it is difficult to get, it doesn't exist for most of us. All models are engineering compromises - for both technical and economic reasons. Of course MFH has room for improvement, but they have proven their desire to improve through better kits over time and even taking risks - like the hybrid Ferrari F1 kits. Look at all the work they did on the 1/12 GTO wire wheels. :D
I agree with what you are saying. Model making is not immune to engineering compromises. I would hope that other companies would step up to add detail sets for the MFH kits. Personally the MFH kits are detailed enough for me. I would think they have to be careful and balance detail with ease of assembly. Let's face it if MFH's customers aren't finishing their kits because they are too complicated then sales will suffer. It's a balancing act in keeping the kit challenging, and fun but not frustrating that the average kit builder walks away. PE parts can be very frustrating to assemble. The parts can bend and are fiddly.

smb
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Maserati
Egypt

Post by smb »

[quote="F1tommy"]The Mini Delta Ferrari P3 kit is now available. I just got an update from Mini Delta on Face Book. It is not the same car as the Hiro kit . Contact Mini Delta for more information. I will buy the Hiro P4 as it will be the best model of that car made and looks very good, but it could be better from what they show on the photos.

smb, it took 3 tries to get the GTO wire wheels to the way they are now. The fact that they did modify them is a great sign that they try very hard to be the best. That is why I posted my comments. They will up the game if people ask for it. In 10 years this Hiro P4 will also be rare and obscure by the way.

This is true F1tommy. And so will we! :wink:

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

I am torn on whether to criticize or just accept it for what it's worth. I know the MFH P4 kit will be great and I've reserved funds for when it will be released. However, and we've been over this before, even now there are parts that could be improved. It will be an incredible basis, as was the 917 (my only other MFH kit) and likely most other MFH 1/12 kits.
But no matter how great, there are always things that annoy me. Things others will probably just ignore and be like "deal with it", but to me they matter, engineer and all. For instance on the 917 I was annoyed with the way the frame was moulded into some of the panels, i.e. the cabin roof, the floor panels and the doors in particular, hence why I am experimenting with fibreglass and metal pipes trying to redo it (based on the original parts obviously). A thing I like is the fact that they use metals for metal parts. At times, however, I am annoyed by their generous use of white metal - and I don't understand why. Again the doors on the 917 - why have they been done in white metal instead of resin? Now I need to rebuild them as well.
Looking at the images of the P4 so far, I see several things that annoy me - thick white metal chassis with partially moulded in frame <sigh>. As said, I will get it anyway, because quite simply it's a Ferrari 330 P4 made by MFH, but comparing it to the Mini Delta, I feel some details are better solved in that one. For instance the PE heat exchanger or even the PE panels for the cockpit. That is something I really really genuinely love. But then again the Mini Delta is a curbside whereas the MFH gets that beautiful 4.0 liter V12 - you cannot argue with that. And arguing with what some said above, casting certain parts looks like cutting corners. But just considering what it would probably cost to have the MFH with the above mentioned details done like the Mini Delta, would probably get us close to a 4-figure price for a kit and even if justified for what you would get that would probably turn turn a lot of people away.
Cheers,
Roman

danibear
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by danibear »

I have an idea to use alunimium bar turned to replace that ugly fake-looking exchanger. But may be quite labor intensive.
Will post some of my design sketch later. I am at airport going back to China for wedding~~. Will inform you guys when I got home. In 1 day, to be exactly....

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

If we never saw the Mini delta we would have not been so turned off by the white metal version...imho. A little shading with oils and this will look just fine. Although this is were someone with more talent than me will make a P/E radiator set for this model. Personally it's all about the shape. The nose needs to be on this car and the rear tail will look great up or down.
But as we discuss how MFH could do better, lets not forget they NEED to fix their decal problems. Buying a hippy car with accomplished modelers (their customer base} having fits trying to salvage brittle decals is a genuine problem that needs to be addressed :shock:

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

I think we should praise this release period, it is a beautiful car, one of the best looking ever, the MG Models kit was nice, also expensive, this will blow it away

One can turn these white metal parts into an art form with the correct polishing, washes, painting etc., so I am not concerned, i will buy one or two of these, we should praise them more

They could always go with more detail, to me they put the detail where it counts, where it shows the most, where they take short cuts, never gets seen again, so I am ok with this

the FW11 I just got has one piece castings for front shocks, but who cares, they are inside the monocoque in the front in the dark, a good well done paint job on these is all thats needed, they have fully detailed ones in the engine bay, so again, they put the detail in where it counts the most, otherwise the kits would be even more expensive

Alex Hague

Cratecruncher
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Cratecruncher »

The 330P4 is so beautiful this model can't help but be spectacular. As long as they nail the body shape, I've seen enough from the engine and tub to be happy with whatever they decide regarding particulars. If I have heartburn about some part during the build I'll come up with something else. For now I just prefer they try and keep the price below Y70k so more can enjoy it.

The wheels of the full scale car are castings and there are 5 of them! No reason why they couldn't be cast in one piece to save a little on aluminum and machining time instead of cast inserts in machined aluminum rims. I'm going to paint them bronze anyway. They could put the money they save into some spiffy machined interior switches or something.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Sennafan wrote:I think we should praise this release period, it is a beautiful car, one of the best looking ever, the MG Models kit was nice, also expensive, this will blow it away

One can turn these white metal parts into an art form with the correct polishing, washes, painting etc., so I am not concerned, i will buy one or two of these, we should praise them more

They could always go with more detail, to me they put the detail where it counts, where it shows the most, where they take short cuts, never gets seen again, so I am ok with this

the FW11 I just got has one piece castings for front shocks, but who cares, they are inside the monocoque in the front in the dark, a good well done paint job on these is all thats needed, they have fully detailed ones in the engine bay, so again, they put the detail in where it counts the most, otherwise the kits would be even more expensive

Alex Hague
+1
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

I can forgive a lot if the body and wheels look right. MFH kits are on the sterile side where Mini Delta kits appear to work better when adding some race or age patina to them....which helps create interest when they don't have opening panels and/or engine.

tifosi224
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tifosi224 »

i think an ugly radiator on MFH kit is much easier to deal with than the spaghetti noodles on seats of the minidelta kit....no?