Lotus 79: Tamiya vs Hasegawa - a comparison

A special Forum just for the new Lotus 79 (and 78) kits.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Lotus 79: Tamiya vs Hasegawa - a comparison

Post by jordan »

h.kruithof wrote:I am currently reading the new Karl Ludvigsen book on Colin Chapman. First of all for everyone interested in Lotus cars and especially the technical theories and aspects behind them this is a must read. Ludvigsen breaks down the subject into : engines, gearboxes, suspensions, chassis, etc.
As to the question above I found an interesting quotation from Mario Andretti on the 79: " ...the more we developed the car, sometimes the worse it got." The solution was the design of the underbodies to suit circuits. Andretti: "where your diffuser would curve up, that's where your downforce was fat....We were testing [diffusers] till we were blue." As a picture in the book shows: the detachable sponsons were often and easily changed to adapt their downforce characteristics to different circuits.
So for us modellers: if you want to model a particular race version check the race reports. Practice pics might even differ from race pics.

Harm

Thank you !

Alex Nahooy.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

So for us modellers: if you want to model a particular race version check the race reports. Practice pics might even differ from race pics.

Harm[/quote]

And as I said earlier, that's what makes the hobby so fun! Differences! And how I mistook that the Tamiya body has molded on dzus also is beyond me! Woulda swore up and down that it did, but it does not! And I had to go and start the Hasegawa kit....dog gone it! :D But so far, I think their DFV fits together much better than the OLD Tamiya one....ooh, how I wish they'd lose that mold and start over, but that's just me!

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

Hi,

Got both the Tamiya and the Hasegawa in the post yesterday.
Both look very nice indeed, good detail on all fronts.
The one thing I noticed very clearly is that the lower front suspenson fairings on the H is a separate piece and on the T it is moulded to the chaccis.
One other thing I'm pleased about is that T hase put in some pluming, which is not all that common for a T F1 carkit. So T is imporving there kits on that aspect.
Color on both are very close to eachother and look pretty good to me, thought many of the thin lines will probably be a BIG pain in the @ss to get on perfectly.

And what to do with 3 Lotus 79 kits.
As I have 1 H and 2 T's I'm thinking of making the 1 H into the '78 JPS car (with probebly the T's wheels and a old set of T's tyres with moulded on tyre markings).
1 T will become the '79 Martini car with the H's rims and tyres and a (to be released) Indycall decalset.
I have a couple plans of what to make of the 2nd T, very much thinking of a '80 81 car (for wich I have a Sapito version to use parts of) TMHO the early season 81 was still very similar technically to the 79. At least close enough for me to do the conversion. Or there are also still the '79 Tyrrell and ATS as possible candidates. Any other thoughts of what to do with a spare 79?

taliesen
Midfield
Midfield

Post by taliesen »

roly01 wrote:Any other thoughts of what to do with a spare 79?
Send it to me . . . I haven't bought one yet ;)
Jonathan

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

taliesen wrote:
roly01 wrote:Any other thoughts of what to do with a spare 79?
Send it to me . . . I haven't bought one yet ;)
That's an other option indeed :P
But I made plans of building it myself, but which version.....

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Re: Lotus 79: Tamiya vs Hasegawa - a build report...

Post by lezdep »

scaleautofactory wrote:To bring back the discussion to the topic i started a double build and make some pictures:
Build Report
Thanks a lot for comparison pictures. I decided to enjoy Tamiya kit first. I'm really looking forward
to perfect fit, great engineering and easy build. I'll leave Hasegawa for later conversion to 1979 year car.

EvanJ
Formula e
Formula e

Post by EvanJ »

Hi all
Following is some pictures of a 79 that used to live in Australia :) (since auctioned off to Japan last year... :( ). I am thinking of building this car due to its relevance to Australia. The black wheels are interesting... :? as are the Avon tyres.
Attachments
P1010182.1.JPG
P1010113.JPG
P1010109.JPG
P1010107.JPG
P1010105.JPG

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

EvanJ wrote:Hi all
Following is some pictures of a 79 that used to live in Australia :) (since auctioned off to Japan last year... :( ). I am thinking of building this car due to its relevance to Australia. The black wheels are interesting... :? as are the Avon tyres.
If you want to build this one, good for you.
But you might be reminded that it is not an original, but rebuild 1979 to look like a 1978 car.
So many details are incorrect, i.e. Avon tyres, black wheels, outboard rearbrakes, rollover bar as from Ronnie Peterson on a Mario Andretti named car to mane a view I see right now.

EvanJ
Formula e
Formula e

Post by EvanJ »

Does anyone do "AVON" tyre stencils in 1/20th??

Yes, the wheels are not only black they're not the same type. I have seen them on some F5000's...

The brakes may need a touch of kit-bashing...

Hmmm :? :?

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

EvanJ wrote:Hi all
Hi,

Thank you for these nice pictures.
Please , did you manage to take a good picture of the rear wheels ?
Precisely , to know which kind they were for such a version using outboard brakes ?

Thank you in advance to post it , if you have.

Bye
Gilles