WIP: 1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F60

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: WIP: 1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F60

Post by gerty »

Great Job !

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Looking good so far...

gpman
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by gpman »

going well, i'm also working on this little baby but no where near as good as you.
nice work.

brad4321
Spectator
Spectator

Post by brad4321 »

I'm working on the same kit. I'm having to do a lot of guess work in the engine area and with what carbon fiber to use on everything. I'm looking forward to seeing you use the Zero paint. I've been trying all day to get that stuff to work but I keep getting DEEP red, AKA burgundy. :? Stripping paint is not my favorite modeling activity.

Topic author
De21
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Germany

Post by De21 »

not really an update but nonetheless might be interesting for some. Since there was a little conversation about the F60 paint on the forum I decided to test the Zero and Tamiya paint, I copied it from that thread.

I also bought the F'artiface decal set for the F60, which looks really nice...!

One thing I really like is this decal for the steering wheel, looks really cool. Although the little markings for the buttons is one big decal... :? It also gives you decals for the silver "stripes" on the front wing + endplates which won't need to be painted then, that is great. No worry about matching paint and decals!

I finished my little "paint test", steps were as following:

Zero F60 Paint:
1. Tamiya grey primer
2. Tamiya white primer
3. Zero Silver Basecoat, about 5x layers
4. Zero Red Bascoat, about 10x layers until the I got a red tone I was "happy" with

Tamiya TS-85:
1. Tamiya grey primer
2. Tamiya white primer
3. Tamiya TS-85 2x mist coats, 1x wet

I actually tried it without the white primer too but as it turned out both paints look a lot better with a white base. Well that could be expected for TS-85 but the silver Zero base also looks considerably darker with a grey base. TS-85 looks almost "blood red" with the grey base.

I spare you with pictures of the primer :wink:, that is how the Zero Silver looks. It is not exactly "solid", it almost looks a bit "grainy".

Zero Red applied (left) aswell as TS-85 on right (right) without clear coat. As normal with the Zero paints without clear it looks like a matt finish.

Now the interesting stuff with 2k clear (Finisher's). Both colors are quite close but the biggest difference is that the Zero paint changes the tone a lot depending on lightening and the angle you look at it... whereas TS-85 is almost "solid".

The Zero paint looks a lot more metallic due to the silver base.

This is under direct lightening, as you can see the Zero paint on the left looks a lot more metallic and even changes a bit to purple / "cream red" (it is actually not as "bad" as it appears on the picture but it is noticeable. I guess I should have applied some more coats of red? That could maybe help.

In conclusion the paints are not far off, the biggest difference is how the paints change from lightening and the angle you look at them. The Zero paint looks a lot more metallic. TS-85 also has a metallic effect but it is so light that you probably don't even notice it. But I also think that I maybe put a bit to much paint on, because before the wetcoat you could see the metallic effect better. Anyway the flakes are really small which is perfect for 1/20.
So for me personally I will use TS-85 because it is easier to apply (only 1 color), you don't have to worry about getting the exact same tone on all parts and the metallic effect is less which should be better for this scale (you can't even see the metallic effect on pictures of the real car...:wink:) Don't get me wrong the zero paints are brilliant but I think TS-85 is the little better tone and simply easier to apply... I will decant the TS-85 now and go with that.

Last edited by De21 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DNR
Formula e
Formula e

Post by DNR »

Hi,
I'm David from Italy. Just a question: where I can buy F'artiface decals, for F-60?
Here in Italy are not avaible.
Thank so much,
David

gpman
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by gpman »

hi decs

the more i look at it the more i'm convinced that the silver ground coat i got with my zero paint is wrong!! the metallic in mine is way to big and after applying 5 layers as you have!, it would have totally wiped out any detail :lol: however i can see from your comparison that my final colour using aluminium as a basecoat is not a million miles away from your's, so now i'm happy and can continue with my build :D all the best and i'll enjoy posting a wip alongside yours

cheers
phil

BruceO
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by BruceO »

DNR wrote:Hi,
I'm David from Italy. Just a question: where I can buy F'artiface decals, for F-60?
Here in Italy are not avaible.
Thank so much,
David
I believe Mac has them at www.macsmodeling.com, great guy to deal with, super fast service

Bruce

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Thanks for the sharing the info and nice pics ! Looks like a great kit and I have my TS-85 ready to go once I complete Tamiya's previous new F1 1/20 release & great kit, the Williams FW24 ( as you depicted in your awesome build of the FW24 ! ).

A nice cover shot of your F60 ! :)

mbl
Formula e
Formula e

Post by mbl »

I agree with gpman. My silver result was NOTHING like that. It had HUGE silver flakes. I started with ts 85 yesterday and it is beautiful.