WIP 1/20 MFH Lotus 49/49B/49C

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

john-w
Midfield
Midfield

Re: WIP 1/20 MFH Lotus 49/49B/49C

Post by john-w »

edi956 wrote:
b) Rear wing colour: before painting blue I look at all the pics I found of 1968 British GP and an old VHF of that race with attention.
Some of them clearly show that rear wing was aluminium, other pics it seems body colour (like that of Allan)...but there is one (which I post asap) where the wing is quite blue. Therefore I believed that in practice it was alu while blue during the race (when one pic shows Amon's Ferrari behind Seppi it is quite during the race).
However, this forum also needs to solve problem so, after future discussion, I'm ready to change rear wing colour when we all agree.
Cheers.
Edgardo
Hi all,

Jo Siffert's Lotus 49B (R4) was totally destroyed by fire in Rob Walker's garage, so Walker ordered a new Lotus 49B.
This new Lotus 49B (R7) was finally completed in the paddock on the moring of first practice for the British GP, so it is possible
the rear wing was aluminium during practice

and for the race the wing was blue (body color).

John-w

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Rear wing colour is tricky. I found a colour picture where Siffert is crossing the finishing line, but it is impossible to see the colour of the wing. I also found some footage of the race, but it is in B&W. Rear wing looks alu to me, but it is hard to say. I guess they had several wings which were tested during practice.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

Topic author
edi956
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by edi956 »

For Dalin: since I cannot work at home (two little daughters of 4 and 2), I can do modeling only between one patient and the other, so this building started on September and finished before Xmas holidays.

On rear wing colours: I'm glad John-w agrees with me. The pics he posted are the same I've had to post too: that one with Amon's Ferrari follows Seppi's 49B is of the race and clearly shows rear wing colour. BTW, also Allan's pic is of the race and, even if he continues to see aluminium, rear wing is clearly blue.
Also in the BW pics rear wing appears too dark for being aluminium.

Have a nice day.

Edgardo

heezonit
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by heezonit »

[Quote]
[quote="edi956"]For Dalin: since I cannot work at home (two little daughters of 4 and 2), I can do modeling only between one patient and the other, so this building started on September and finished before Xmas holidays.

Well I just joined the site, you are a Doctor with a 2 and a 4 year old and it only took you approximately 5 months to make this amazing and beautiful Lotus! I have no excuse for the time it takes me to make one car! I have had one on my desk for two years. You guys are inspiring me to get busy! What great builds I have seen on this site!

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Denmark

Post by allnie »

edi956 wrote:For Dalin: since I cannot work at home (two little daughters of 4 and 2), I can do modeling only between one patient and the other, so this building started on September and finished before Xmas holidays.

On rear wing colours: I'm glad John-w agrees with me. The pics he posted are the same I've had to post too: that one with Amon's Ferrari follows Seppi's 49B is of the race and clearly shows rear wing colour. BTW, also Allan's pic is of the race and, even if he continues to see aluminium, rear wing is clearly blue.
Also in the BW pics rear wing appears too dark for being aluminium.

Have a nice day.

Edgardo
Yes I agree - it is blue when we talk raceday. I guess the confusion is very much that the car for strange reasons used 2 different wings with different colours during the weekend. And just to add to the confusion can the light from the sky sometimes give a wrong impression of the colour of the car. I remember colour pictures of the Lotus 72, where it looked kind of blue because of strong sunshine.
Br
Allan
Br
Allan

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

Great Job on your Lotus !

Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

Post by Jacques »

Wow ! very nice and professionnal Top build.
:o :o :o :o

I have also this one on my pile. One of the most significant, if noty the most significant F1 car from the 60's
Jacques

Topic author
edi956
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by edi956 »

As soon as Roberto (Icaro) sent me all the 49s requested, I started five kits contemporarly.
It is a very hard job and it seems never ends...

Here five engine/gearbox groups, from left to right: 1970 Monaco, 1969 United States, 1969 South Africa, 1968 Monaco and 1967 Dutch.

Edgardo
Attachments
2010.03.28 021.jpg

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Denmark

Post by allnie »

Building 5 MFH kits at the same time. Quite impressive :mrgreen: .
Br
Allan
Br
Allan