W.I.P Tamiya Williams FW-11

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

Post by Guest »

The thing with white primer is that, in my experience always requires a bit of wet sanding to get totally smooth. Because of that it adds what I'll call ripples. Maybe I was just too lazy to deal with it.

Post by Guest »

JohnnyFerrari wrote:Hey Zubski,

Thanks, at least someones nice.

Johnny
Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread.

I did want to tell you that while there may be too much gloss, etc, you are building a clean model. We all start somewhere. Some of the pictures of projects I've seen on this site make be green with envy. I know I'll never be as good as some of the builders I see here. That is one thing. Again, we have to start somewhere, we have to deal with the financial limitations we may have for supplies and lastly, our own skill level.

The more you build these models the more you will be inspired to research any particular car. Collect pictures, etc so realism becomes primary. We share a common interest in these types of models and the more of us there are the better. This should always be a hobby and not a hassle. As long as you have fun doing this and are satisfied with your results that is what really makes it worth doing. Again, just keep it fun and you'll be fine.

Topic author
JohnnyFerrari
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by JohnnyFerrari »

Hey,

No Problem..dna-one
And Thanks to everyone
I took the back body out of the brake fluid on the weekend and got all the paint off :D
and primed (first coat), I just put the front body in the brake fluid. So it will be quite some time before i finish the body

Johnny

Post by Guest »

I've always hated the brake fluid method! In my case I think the paint is smooth enough where I could get away with primer over the red and then red. Using all Tamiya paint of course. Maybe I should rethink that though.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

dna-one wrote:The thing with white primer is that, in my experience always requires a bit of wet sanding to get totally smooth. Because of that it adds what I'll call ripples. Maybe I was just too lazy to deal with it.
Yes that's true. But if you don't prime and say paint white over red plastic, the paint doesn't adhere to corners and crevises very well and you will see the underlying red plastic showing through. Primer helps the top coat adhere to these trouble areas.

Post by Guest »

My problem isn't coverage, it is shade. It isn't what I'd call a true Ferrari red. I've got some time to think about this. I found a website that offers aftermarket decals for this car where the white backing is much better. I really don't want to paint the underlying areas white because I think it is inviting a mistake. If there is a way to mess it up, I'll find it!

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I hope those are my aftermarket decals you are talking about ;)

Post by Guest »

Now, how on earth did you know? That is how I found this site. I started looking for details on this particular car and it lbrought me here.

Post by Guest »

Oh, and you just sold a set!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Pancho wrote:
dna-one wrote:I agree on the Testors gloss enamels. For sparys I painly use Tamiya's stuff. Sure it cost a bit more but it is worth it. I am a little unhappy about the italian red though and how it came out on my 312T3. It looks more like glossy red plastic than an actual body. Gotta do something about that.
Strip and repaint.... :?
agree with Pancho there...you will be much more happy when the kit is finished. And you should really airbrush the engine. Flat or semigloss paints are very easy to deal with, so you should give your airbrush a try.

If you go to a hardware store and get a can of automotive flat or semigloss black and use that for the engine it will turn out great. Those paints are perfect for airbrushing, just decant a little and go ahead...no need for surface primer before that paint but it will help.

good luck

daniel
-germany-