1/20 Kauhsen WK1 - Paul Ricard test 1979

About making you own...

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Hi Steven,

I have a question. How does the ClubM version of the Lotus 88B stand up to the Studio 27 version? Is the S-27 version just a re-release of the ClubM kit or are there any changes, good or bad?? This has long been a car I'm very interested in building and plan to get the S-27 release. I was just wondering if you know anymore about the two kits then I do.

JM,

Are there any pictures of your Hesketh we can look up? I'd really like to see how that is coming along. 1/12 scale is my first love.

Thanks,

Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
SWestern
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by SWestern »

JM,
I have a modelling magazine article where someone did a 1/12th Hesketh. It took him about two years. If you haven't seen it yourself I could scan it for you.

Icon Modeler,
If you don't mind curbside I would go for the S27. Though I haven't seen it in the flesh I would expect it to be better quality than the ClubM kit.
I got the ClubM kit because I wanted all the detail as I felt this would illustrate the cars design philosophy much more clearly. The ClubM kit is fundamentally OK but requires huge amounts of patience, checking and some scratch improvements.
The wheels are not brilliant as they are lightly pitted white metal (I spent half an hour on each one getting them to look polished - I will also cut out the gold centre hubs and scratch my own!) The front tyres were too large in diameter which is easy to fix with a Dremel tool and sandpaper!
The decals look pretty good, but no chrome for the Essex logo areas, so aftermarket chrome decal or paint will be required. You do get everything to allow any version to be built.
The body side panels are thin cast resin which wass so warped I decide to scratch build new ones out of brass.

I've made this kit sound really bad ! I will post some pictures on a new progress thread. Of the members here, has a website showing all the kit parts laid out. http://www.sh-modeling.de/reviews/ClubM ... eview.html

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Hesketh

Post by JM »

James, thanks for the encouragement and the pointer regarding family and garden :lol:.
Steven - I would appreciate any reference for my Hesketh project. I don't know the article you mentioned so a scan of it would be very welcome. As for the two years the guy needed for his scratchbuild - I hope I can manage it in about the same time. One year has already gone with mine.
Icon Modeler, I have thought about putting the pictures of my Hesketh on this site but the more of the near perfect scratchbuilts and super detailed kits I see around here the more inferior I feel with my humble efforts :oops:. But on the other hand I might start a Hesketh topic not least to get some helping hints. So watch this space.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Guys,

Thanks a lot!!!!

Steven,

I had no idea that the ClubM kit was full detail. This makes me want one of those all the more even if it is not perfect, after all we are modelers right? A little scratch building never hurts!!

JM,

I encourage you to post some pictures I'm sure you are doing a much better job then you give yourself credit for. I know I'm my own worst critic. I know most people are hardest on themselves when it comes to this kind of stuff because they know of every little flaw. Most flaws will probably never be noticed in the end by the normal person.

Thanks again, Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports