Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

barantes
Formula e
Formula e

Re: Tamiya 1/20 Ferrari SF70H

Post by barantes »

Superbly well done CF Decals job
Last edited by barantes on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Very high quality work here!

Thanks for sharing.
C K
Canada

barantes
Formula e
Formula e

Post by barantes »

Analisying your progress I noticed you applied CF in the bottom of the engine cover, probably directed by Studio27 instructions. Checking some pictures of the real car, I’m not pretty sure, but looks like in this part there’s no CF. Only a colored black stripe to make contrast with some white sponsors logos. Please, do not understand it as a criticsm. I’m just pointing for something I think is not correct in the Studio27 CF decal sheet.

You’re making a fantastic job with this kit regardless your short experience with cars kits! I put mine in the table last month, and now I’m currently spend some time in the monocoque assembly, removing injection marks, dry fit testings etc etc....

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone! It's super encouraging to me.
barantes wrote:Analisying your progress I noticed you applied CF in the bottom of the engine cover, probably directed by Studio27 instructions. Checking some pictures of the real car, I’m not pretty sure, but looks like in this part there’s no CF. Only a colored black stripe to make contrast with some white sponsors logos. Please, do not understand it as a criticsm. I’m just pointing for something I think is not correct in the Studio27 CF decal sheet.

You’re making a fantastic job with this kit regardless your short experience with cars kits! I put mine in the table last month, and now I’m currently spend some time in the monocoque assembly, removing injection marks, dry fit testings etc etc....
You made me double check but I was pretty sure there was carbon fibre under there especially since Tamiya provides those decals as well. Anyways I did a quick googling and can see what you mean, but I've found pictures that definitely show the CF pattern. The decals definitely have more contrast than real CF and there's also the fact that it's wrapped underneath the body so it's always in the shadows. Definitely subtle.

Earlier, I was thinking about toning it all down with some clear smoke, but after hours and hours of decaling, I wasn't willing to a) spend more time masking and b) hide my work :lol:
http://www.f1modelling.com

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Looks great

Your attention to detail and masking is flawless

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Nice Cf job and painting. Well done mate!

barantes
Formula e
Formula e

Post by barantes »

SebLeung wrote:

You made me double check but I was pretty sure there was carbon fibre under there especially since Tamiya provides those decals as well. Anyways I did a quick googling and can see what you mean, but I've found pictures that definitely show the CF pattern. The decals definitely have more contrast than real CF and there's also the fact that it's wrapped underneath the body so it's always in the shadows. Definitely subtle.

Earlier, I was thinking about toning it all down with some clear smoke, but after hours and hours of decaling, I wasn't willing to a) spend more time masking and b) hide my work :lol:
You're right! Very nice. Thanks for your research! I'll will attempt for this detail in the next steps of my assembly.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Fantastic work. What dedication. Just looking at all those CF decals makes me tired. LOL

Cheers, Chris

Topic author
SebLeung
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by SebLeung »

Quick reply for slow progress

Pretty much all progress has been continuing the endless process of applying CF decals.

This bottom front wing element has something like 27 CF decals by itself

The rear brake drums (not pictured) and front brake ducts (pictured) have been the biggest pains so far. Ended up with a few breaks and folds that annoy me, but in the grand scheme of things aren't a big issue. I really don't like the way they designed the front brake duct pattern though, there ends up being a big seam in the middle of the air scoop.

I've also painted some white parts I didn't bother taking photos of.

I think I'll take a break from CF decals for a bit and work on livery decals instead just for the sake of my sanity. I picked up the S27/Tabu fill-ins since I really like the look of the vintage-styled large driver numbers the SF70H took on Monaco and later. I also like how they painted the sidepod deflectors half black in the later season. So it's a given I'll be fudging this model to look like a later season SF70H with paint and decals alone.

I tried looking for sessions where they ran with the older-spec front wing (there was an extra element added in a few races in the earlier half of the year):

Pre-Malaysia as they updated the air intake at Malaysia:

Single-layered T-wing (I'll be applying carbon decals by cannibalizing the provided Tamiya decals)

Flat rear-wing (top) as opposed to "spoon" shaped rear-wing (bottom)

Malaysia was a good candidate, minus the air intake. Spain would have worked well as well but the sidepod deflectors weren't painted half black. Italy would actually have been a cool fit since the Tabu decal includes the 70th Anniversary decals that Ferrari ran at Monza that year. I still preferred the regular livery though. I think I've settled for Austria since I found this picture which was supposedly taken there:

It must have been taken during some practice session as every other picture I've found had Vettel sporting the double-layered T-wing. If anyone has knowledge on this I'd really appreciate any input!

Hope my progress is helping somebody out there
http://www.f1modelling.com

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Beautiful work! Your lines are crisp and the CF decals look painted on! Excellent