Group Build WIP: EBBRO JPS Lotus 72E

Any scale...

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Group Build WIP: EBBRO JPS Lotus 72E

Post by alexpayne »

Kilshaw wrote:Thanks.
CBartholomew4677 wrote:The black paint on the body-work looks very nice,clean and smooth. Did you clear-coat it? If so, did you clear-coat over the decals, and how did they react?

Chris
Hi Chris. I didn't clear coat the body. I just painted the Tamiya black through the airbrush for two coats, and then did one final coat directly out of the can, because it is shinier that way. I then polished the paint, to give a shiny effect. Glad you like it!

Btw, I have never clear-coated over decals - frankly I'm just too scared! ;-)

Jake
Hi Jake,
Super work so far, and looking very good. I think you are right not to clear a car from this era, they were never that shiny. Just polish over the decals when completed.
Atb,Alex

Topic author
Kilshaw
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by Kilshaw »

SteveNoble wrote:That looks fantastic..!!! Really quick work, I love the wheels..
Thanks Steve!
Starr wrote:Wow! That black on the body panels is excellent. I will try that approach next time, thanks for share your paint technique. The engine and transmission looks good too.
alexpayne wrote: Hi Jake,
Super work so far, and looking very good. I think you are right not to clear a car from this era, they were never that shiny. Just polish over the decals when completed.
Atb,Alex
Thanks. I meant to say that I waxed the car, not polish. I always get those two mixed up. I used the Zero Paints Model Car Wax from Steve at Hiroboy. It's really great stuff. So, my painting process for this car was:

- Wash parts in warm, soapy water.
- 2 coats of Tamiya Fine Grey Primer from the can, 45 minutes between coats. (No need to sand after primer, as it is so smooth)
- Dry for at least 12 hours.
- 2 coats of Tamiya TS-14 Black through the airbrush, 45 minutes between coats.
- Micromesh 8000, 12000
- 1 coat of Tamiya TS-14 Black from the can.
- Leave to dry for 48 hours.
- Decal.
- Wax.

The reason why I do two coats decanted and then one coat from the can is because it uses much less paint when decanting, however it is glossier from the can, so I do it this way to save paint (and money) but also get a good finish.

I hope this helps! And thank you for your comments.

Jake
Jake Kilshaw, 16 years old.

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Hi Jake,
fantastic finish 8) Keep up the good work
Cheers, H

Topic author
Kilshaw
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by Kilshaw »

Kilshaw wrote: So, my painting process for this car was:

- Wash parts in warm, soapy water.
- 2 coats of Tamiya Fine Grey Primer from the can, 45 minutes between coats. (No need to sand after primer, as it is so smooth)
- Dry for at least 12 hours.
- 2 coats of Tamiya TS-14 Black through the airbrush, 45 minutes between coats.
- Micromesh 8000, 12000
- 1 coat of Tamiya TS-14 Black from the can.
- Leave to dry for 48 hours.
- Decal.
- Wax.

The reason why I do two coats decanted and then one coat from the can is because it uses much less paint when decanting, however it is glossier from the can, so I do it this way to save paint (and money) but also get a good finish.
I must also add that this is the 4th model I have built where I used Tamiya paints. This is the first time where I have decanted and sprayed from the can. The first and second time, I did everything from the can, but used a lot of paint. The third time, I decanted for every coat.

The only reason why I did both on this was because the TS-14 wasn't very shiny after decanting, and it saves time if I don't have to varnish! ;-)

Jake
Jake Kilshaw, 16 years old.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

That's a good finish you have achieved Jake. Maybe I should send my Lotus to you to spray. Made a bit of a mess of mine at the moment. Think it will be a good few sessions of micromesh to save the day.