Post your best modeling tips here.

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Did you use multiple sections of decal or cover the whole wing with one piece and slice it?

I'm pretty sure the answer but I though I would ask.

Eric
BigDuke6 wrote:Here's the standard weave CF on a front wing - application helped with microsol.

Just be patient and practice a little bit before. I've found that different brands of carbon decals go on differently, the S27 ones are almost like crepe paper when compared to the SMS ones.

Knowing how they are going to react is important to get the finish you want.

chongman
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by chongman »

Here's the same wing as BigDuke6 is showing but done with Modeler's CF (one coat of clear has been applied). Micro-Set and Sol were used along with a little heat from a blowdryer on low setting. The wing is first painted with gloss black, wet sanded and polished out super smooth, then decaled.
Attachments
Ferrari F310B Front Wing
Ferrari F310B Front Wing
310B73.JPG (111.83 KiB) Viewed 345 times
When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting Steve McQueen 1971

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

I don't use the setting solution when doing normal decals, only if they have a curve to go around - others might have more info on this. I still consider there to be an element of chance as it really just melts the decal, so i'm still a little scared about using them.

Nice wing CM - the clear coat really sets it off!

My wing was done with separate pieces of carbon. Since the kit will be curbside, I'm not putting too much detail into the underside.. just "general" cuts of carbon made by placing the wing over the sheet and going in with the cutting knife and letting the setting solution do the rest.

f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

I have added part of this thread to the new site.

Eric