WIP: 1988 Williams FW12 1/20

Area to upload images of work(s) in progress...

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Love the driveshaft detailing, I'll have to steal that idea!

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Emersonsquirrel wrote:Looking forward to seeing the bolt heads added, whose will you be using?
ES
Thanks ES,

I have an etch set of various nuts and bolt heads from Crazy modeler which Im going to use. I also have a few of RB Motion's brass bolt heads but I think they are going to be too big.

Sean

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

more progress...

the offending yellow is on and finished. This has already had one polish using tamiya course & fine compounds and the a final wash with Johnsons.

while the shell has been drying properly I turned my attention to the cockpit. This is the kit seat (aw bless! )...

seems almost unthinkable to leave the moulded belts on these days and just paint them, here's the finished article.

The seat is finished with embossing powder and I used Scale Motorsport hardware which is superb, for the belts I used some material I bought from a company called DC Models. Tt took forever to arrive however the stuff is the best I have seen and I will be using this from now on for all my belts.

Having left the shell for two days I have started adding the decals...

Boy was it tricky, lots of gaps and fit problems with the S27 shell and the decals, however after a lot of patience testing time I'm over the hardest ones.

The shell will need a final polish and further coat of Johnsons when the remaining decals are done, also left to do is pick out the panel lines with some brown ink.

oh and finally, out of interest I came across this pic of a test version of the FW12, check out the rear wing... or lack of I should say...

so, nearly there as they say, thanks as always for following.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Very nice looking so far Seamus. I really enjoy your choice of subjects. I have two of these kits and plan to build one as shown in the test picture. I have a soft spot for F1 oddity.

Keep up the great work, Icon Modeler
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Blooody hell niiiiice!!!! :)

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Yep, veeery nice!

tgoncalves
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tgoncalves »

Yip its looking good !

roly01
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by roly01 »

Hi,

That's a very nice build indeed.
The testcar was from the german GP, they also ran it with a lower (or no) airbox.

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

My first real resin kit is finished, overall a very pleasant experience. Although it does only feel like half a project compared to my usual builds such as the Lotus 25, 99T and Ferrari 310B.

Apart from the transmission tunnel and suspension there was no work on the engine bay whatsoever, I even left off the etched replacement Judd engine covers as they are too nice to be permanently hidden under the resin shell so I have saved these for another project later maybe.

On the plus side I found the car went together exceptionally well and sits beautifully square on the road without any adjustments whatsoever (often an issue with Tamiya kits). As you would expect it is heavy compared to its plastic counterparts however this gives it a more quality feel and is no bad thing!

Sorry it was a bit of a jump from the last posted pics on the WIP however I managed to get a lot done in a short space of time and forgot to take pics along the way.

So enough waffling, a few finished pics here and as always there will be more on my website.

next project will be a 1/24 Boest Porsche 962C

thanks again for following guys, hope you like it.

SWestern
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by SWestern »

Very nice looking model indeed Sean! It's got me even more interested in getting one which must be ultimate flattery.
Last edited by SWestern on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.