indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: All the same red?

Post by indycals »

"Never saw the M@r!b*r* McLarens in person, but I have seen the M@r!b*r* Penske's in real life, and I remember how obnoxiously flourescent the red/orange was." they were the same

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

Agreed, the M@r!b*r* Mclaren, & Penske fluorescent orange was the same, incredibly vivid, especially on a overcast or rainy day.
Similar vibe to the old STP day-glo red. In a thick fog you could still see them a mile away. Which of course was the point!

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Fluorescent red has a very narrow range. There may be a specific STP blend and a specific M@r!b*r* blend but if you put them next to each other the difference would be negligible if even noticeable. But I agree with the comment about the 2000-2004 Ferraris - they were the brightest red I've ever seen without being fluorescent. Tamiya recommends TS49 but even that isn't bright enough.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Hein wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:52 am When i look at the zero list they mention, up until 2004 the ferraris had the same (non fluo) normal red. Doesnt make sense, i recently saw several next to each other in Köln Germany (schumacher private collection) 1996 f310 next to f399/f2000/2001/2 etc., f310 was normal red and the rest had all the same marlb. fluo red (not mclaren flu but a bit in between). They used this same fluo color from the 1997 f310b until i think 2007? So zero has this wrong, dont go blind on what they say.
2004 was a change and 2007 was a unique paint that year. I trust Zero Paint a lot more than most of the endlessly repeated nonsense and uninformed commentary on internet fan sites as Zero Paints source their paint from Lechler in Italy and Lechler would have their information direct from Ferrari.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Regardless what Zero or other modelng paint makers might have done, facts are facts.
YES Ferraris have been fluo. :D
NO it was not the same as the Mclarens
YES they are different to tell apart at first sight. :wink:
YES the variety span is narrow, BUT yet you can get different things. :roll:
YES I say this because it´s been checked live, contemporarily, and with quite infallible tools. 8)
I could see the 1997 Ferrari live. Even leaving aside how it looked aflame in the sun of Montmeló and Jerez, the definit proof is witnessing an F310B while even touching it, with normal, dim and sparse natural light AND also "black light". UV you know, ultra violet. Yes, it was a party on open ground. BTW the less classy place where you´d expect to find an F310B covered with a canvas. It could be seen with sunset light, with night and fluo light, and with daylight. Believe me it´s as fluo as a 1996 McLaren could be. Most probably it was deeper and more red than the Marlboros, but the fluo was undenieable.
It was quite commented that Ferrari went for a deeper, more red color in 1998. Yet it was still fluo.
I was lucky to witness a good bunch of originally painted early 2000 Ferraris, and this time I had my own paint chip and my UV 3 euro worth lantern. Fluo was there.

The fact you can keep the fluo yet having darker or lighter colors, you can check by yourself with the famous TS36. Being a clear color that has to be sprayed over a whitish base, it depends on the number of layers to get something from pink-orange to almost deep red. Fluor factor will depend on the base, too. White will reflect all the light and make it pass thru the fluo paint, not just reflecting, so the efect looks stronger.
An interesting experience: take your original Revell F2002 and compare with your car painted with TS49. In normal light, they will look almost the same. With strong light and dim light, the Revell will look quite brighter, and if you point at them with a UV light, difference will be striking.
Hope this helps!! :D
Last edited by JamesB on Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

BullittStang
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Joe
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nigel Mansell
United States of America

Post by BullittStang »

Noddy wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:07 am
Hein wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:52 am When i look at the zero list they mention, up until 2004 the ferraris had the same (non fluo) normal red. Doesnt make sense, i recently saw several next to each other in Köln Germany (schumacher private collection) 1996 f310 next to f399/f2000/2001/2 etc., f310 was normal red and the rest had all the same marlb. fluo red (not mclaren flu but a bit in between). They used this same fluo color from the 1997 f310b until i think 2007? So zero has this wrong, dont go blind on what they say.
2004 was a change and 2007 was a unique paint that year. I trust Zero Paint a lot more than most of the endlessly repeated nonsense and uninformed commentary on internet fan sites as Zero Paints source their paint from Lechler in Italy and Lechler would have their information direct from Ferrari.

Here's a pic from Ferrari's own facility showing an F2001 right next to an F93A...and I'm supposed to believe that those two are the same color as Zero Paints say they are?

Hell...you can even see the red on the F2001 is closer to the flouro red on the M@r!b*r* decal on the F93 than it is to the actual red of the car itself.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I insist :D forget what zero says :mrgreen:
You’re right in your sticker remark. Trust the ones old enough to have been around there and then :wink:

Topic author
ElectricRodeo1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jaguar F1
United States of America

Post by ElectricRodeo1 »

Jeez... What a lineup. Can you even imagine walking down that isle? Beautiful.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

That is an impressive looking lineup alright!
And you can see the color change quite clearly. Also interesting is that the cars behind the F93 are in a "darker" red again, though not the same hue.

When we last had this discussion a few years ago, I saved this as a "confirmed" list:

from early 1970s to and including 1996: TS-8
from 1997 to and including 2003: TS49 with flouro effect
from 2004 to and excluding Monaco 2007: bright flouro red TS-49
from Monaco 2007 to and including 2008: Metallic red (TS-74 clear red over TS-21 gold)
2009: TS-85
2010: TS-49 with slight pearl effect

For the cars after 2010, I do not know. I did buy the Zero paints F1-75 red for the 2022 car.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

BMW wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:53 pm
2010: TS-49 with slight pearl effect
This one I've seen closely, and it was TS-8 with a very subtle pearl effect, so subtle that could be hardly noticed in a scale model. The 2011 F150, which I've seen too, was painted with the same red. I suspect the other Alonso's Ferraris kept the same color mix.

I don't know exactly when they gone back to a bright red of TS-49 type, but that's the best match of color from 2017 to 2021, with a dull finish from 2019, and discounting the special darker "red wine" livery of the 2020's Tuscany GP.

In 2022 they used that strange "brick" red, and this year looks like it is bright red again, but it's just what I can say from the TV screen.

In the end, Ferraris reds are as confusing as the naming of the Scuderia cars...