1/12 Trumpeter GT-40

Ask away....

leafs004
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: 1/12 Trumpeter GT-40

Post by leafs004 »

Speaking of the Trumpter version, it’s currently on sale at hobbylinc.com. So if you’re in the US and thinking about it, great time to grab one. I did, not sure what I’ll do with it yet as I want to see the Meng first.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/trumpeter-for ... cale-05403
"Slow and Steady Wins the Race" - Who ever won a race with that strategy?

ssobier
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Steve Sobieralski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Ferrari
Jim Clark, Graham Hill Jochen Rindt, Kimi
United States of America

Post by ssobier »

Back in 2012 I started a WIP thread converting the Trumpeter MkII kit into the '66 Sebring winning roadster driven by Miles and Ruby. The project remains uncompleted, but the thread does explain many of the short comings of the kit and how some of them can be fixed:

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17285

Briefly, the body is fine and the kit can be made into an acceptable curbside model. The front compartment and cockpit are OK, there is room for improvement but no drastic issues. Where the kit really falls down is the engine and engine compartment. If built OOB, the rear chassis and the engine will literally have holes and gaps and there are many other issues. The thread explains and illustrates most of this and may be helpful for anyone thinking of buying the kit.

From what I have seen of the Meng kit it is a huge improvement over this one.

Steve Sobieralski

fatfrog
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Hong Kong

Post by fatfrog »

I was told this kit is being re-release by Trumpet under a different brand and the price is almost half of it’s original. Not sure it’s true but this could very well happens with Chinese manufacturers. :lol: :lol:

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

fatfrog wrote:I was told this kit is being re-release by Trumpet under a different brand and the price is almost half of it’s original. Not sure it’s true but this could very well happens with Chinese manufacturers. :lol: :lol:
they left out the ford license, wich appears to be close to 50% of kit price.
Now you're buying 'a sports car' no gt40.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

fatfrog wrote:I was told this kit is being re-release by Trumpet under a different brand and the price is almost half of it’s original. Not sure it’s true but this could very well happens with Chinese manufacturers. :lol: :lol:
Yes, re-release under a differnt brand and without Ford-Logos.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10696114

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

With the passage of time and the rise in the collector's market some of the Mk.IIs have undergone thorough restorations which result in a wonderful increase in info on these cars.
Take a look at these sites;
https://www.raredrive.com/gt40-restoration
http://gt40.rkmotorscharlotte.com/
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Topic author
tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Got mine today. As we all expected, it is the same kit that it always was. Though I've never seen the original kit in person, everything I've heard and read leads me to this conclusion. I'm quite happy though, that I didn't pay the Ebay asking price of $300US plus shipping for an old one. Icon tires will be ordered, and maybe some 3-D printed bits will offered by someone. Roman, if you would still like pictures of the body, let me know.

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

I am afraid we see why for instance Tamiya don't release that many new racing car kits. The license fees are now insane. If Trumpeter can sell the kit for ½ price - just because they don't need to pay royalties - it explains why the kits get's much too expensive for the market. And the manufactures don't get very much profit - even though the price for the kit is very high.
Br
Allan

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

tubegenius wrote:Got mine today. As we all expected, it is the same kit that it always was. Though I've never seen the original kit in person, everything I've heard and read leads me to this conclusion. I'm quite happy though, that I didn't pay the Ebay asking price of $300US plus shipping for an old one. Icon tires will be ordered, and maybe some 3-D printed bits will offered by someone. Roman, if you would still like pictures of the body, let me know.
Just a quick question - you have the "US Sports Car 24 hour endurance racing car" model that is now sold by "Magnifire", has basically the box art of the Trumpeter one but costs about half of that and is the same kit? If so then no, I don't need the pics. I have the old trumpy kit, bought it at a time when they could be had for 130€ in volumes on fleabay.

Now if someone can get their hands on the Meng version of the GT40 - that I would like to see pictures of the box content of. :)

Thank you
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

It is exactly as you describe. The Ford decal for the lower stripe behind the front wheels is now 4 individual, non-connected letters. No need for pictures, it is what you think it is.

Edit: How are the typical licensing fees determined? Do kit manufacturers bid for them? Are they set by the owners, take it or leave it? It seems to me that pricing a license absurdly high ultimately results in no revenue at all, as is the case here.