Hobby room

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: Hobby room

Post by CK »

2 suggestions that I have for the vents.

- If possible, use a 6 " pipe. This will reduce the resistance inside the pipe and the air flows out better.
- The vent with the flaps is a good idea. It prevents some back draft from the outside and rain from coming in. However, make sure that there is a mesh with holes no bigger the 0.5" square. This is to block out birds from entering into the pipe. I have this problem before with birds making a nest inside the pipe. They are smart enough to pick up the flaps to enter the pipe.
C K
Canada

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

sky1911 wrote:Wow, some nice setups here. Question to F1Noob - do you have fans installed in those vents at some place
or are they just hoses between the booth and the outside world? Just asking since I would probably add some
regular 120mm computer fans (12v) somewhere on the way between inside and outside.
Also blimey, some clean setups. Now show us how it really looks like when used ;).
Forget the computer fans. I tried those first, when i built my spraybooth.
Get the ones for bathrooms from the DIY-store ( next to the ducting :-). They are more powerful.

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Chinamalc wrote:Hi F1Noob,

Nice set up, where did you get those drawer units from?

Malc.
The drawers on top of the bench are from Hobbyzone modular workshop system. They are a Polish company but have distribution in other countries including UK and USA.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

An office area with computer for researching your projects would be nice, also area for assembly of kit, area for machinery and finally an area for painting only with extraction fan, spray booth etc..
Steve Noble

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

jaykay wrote:
sky1911 wrote:Wow, some nice setups here. Question to F1Noob - do you have fans installed in those vents at some place
or are they just hoses between the booth and the outside world? Just asking since I would probably add some
regular 120mm computer fans (12v) somewhere on the way between inside and outside.
Also blimey, some clean setups. Now show us how it really looks like when used ;).
Forget the computer fans. I tried those first, when i built my spraybooth.
Get the ones for bathrooms from the DIY-store ( next to the ducting :-). They are more powerful.
That`s true, computer vans are no good choice, they are not captured too, that can be dangerous with the fume running to. The bathroom ones are captured against water steam, so not as dangerous as pc vans and more powerfull. One advise on the spray booth i can give is, make the room easy for cleaning and add a filter to the incoming air! I build a small room, walls, floor and roof is completely covered with a thick PE foil, easy to clean and helps prevending dust when doing paint jobs. The room is heated too, and i added a filter for clean incoming air to the door, before i start painting, i go inside the booth and spray a water-soap mix to the walls till everything is wet, this helps sticking dust to the walls and floor instead of flying around in the air. When done it is easy to clean the booth with water. My booth itself has 2 vents that run into a big box that includes a filter too to prefend that coloured dust is going outside, from the box another van is putting the air outside above the house roof, this way i never had problems with a ferrari red house roof or something like that.^^
Overall i spend a few hundred bucks only for the material i used, but it is worth it if your doing a lot of modeling!
Take a stand!

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Noddy wrote:

Malc.
The drawers on top of the bench are from Hobbyzone modular workshop system. They are a Polish company but have distribution in other countries including UK and USA.
Cheers for that! I never saw this system before, looks great.

Malc.

F1Noob
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1Noob »

Malc.
They are from Hobby Zone in Poland. Reasonably priced, but shipping was a little painful.

F1Noob
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1Noob »

It has 2 fans. I got an Artograf 1530 spray booth, then built the acrylic box around it since I live in a super dusty climate in the desert: https://www.artograph.com/spraybooths/1530-hobby-model/

F1Noob
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by F1Noob »

Chinamalc wrote:
Noddy wrote:

Malc.
Cheers for that! I never saw this system before, looks great.

Malc.
They are CNC Laser (I think?) cut pieces of particle board. You have to glue them all together. Then you press in 2 small magnets per side, so they stick together, but not too much

Here is an album of the assembly process: https://imgur.com/a/ivwul

Here is an album showing the details of of my modified Artograf booth: https://imgur.com/a/71F8B

The sad thing is I sit down maybe 3 times a month to build. Started my own business and had 2 kids. I did clean up the garage last weekend though, so it's ready for me.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Superb links - Thanks!!
Your modelling time will come - don't worry!

Malc.