Beemax MP4/2 w detail set

A forum for builds of the Aoshima/Beemax McLaren MP4/2 kit.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Beemax MP4/2 w detail set

Post by daveyman »

I just received my Mclaren & upgrade pack today. Does look a very good kit doesn't it. Think it may just be my next build. Will watch yours with even more interest, l wulould say the chassis is asking to be detailed, the basics look so good that a bit extra will go a long way.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Had a minor paint bottle disaster then knocked everything off one corner of my table so I'm realizing I'm too tired to do anything more today. Here's where it sits as of now.

I'm going to flat coat the head covers and I'm working on the small pieces of body that go over the driveshafts. That's stalling the majority of the engine assembly. Also detail painting all over.

K

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Just been looking at the parts breakdown and the horizontal split of the chassis is gonna be awkward. How to install front suspension after joining the chassis or covering the split line after paint. Gonna take some thinking about.
Anyway, look forward to seeing your build move on...

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

daveyman wrote:Just been looking at the parts breakdown and the horizontal split of the chassis is gonna be awkward. How to install front suspension after joining the chassis or covering the split line after paint. Gonna take some thinking about.
Anyway, look forward to seeing your build move on...

I haven't even gotten that far into the instructions. I'll have to look at that tomorrow.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Added some more pe and my first gaff so far. I thought that the nose cone pe would replace the plastic so I removed the lower piece. Then when trying to place the pe part I noticed it was too wide. So I cut it and was going to attach each side then worry about it later. Well when I started on the top it was the same deal then I realized the pe is only supposed to "go over" the plastic. So I sanded down the top and added the pe. Thankfully the bottom is a clean cut so I reattached the bottom and will fix the pe. If that doesn't work I have another kit so I can replace it and deal with it later in the next build.
I also got more of the engine and rear suspension together. Not everything is glued nor needs glue. Fit so far is top notch.

K

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Great work, Kris.
This is a damn fine looking build...I can't wait for the next update :D :wink:

Cheers, H

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Yeah, great work, Kris. That TAG turbo is cool!

Cheers, Chris

Daryl_Huhtala
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Daryl Huhtala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gurney Stewart Andretti Clark Hill McLaren Hulme Villeneuve Fittipaldi
United States of America

Post by Daryl_Huhtala »

Following with great interest. My kit and detail set are on their way from the far east. Good work so far.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Looking great. PE set appears to be a great addition. I'm quite impressed how much extra
they were able to pack in that set for relatively low price. Keep up the great work.

Topic author
Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

And now a question or dilemma.

I ran out if TS-26 and no longer have a LHS apparently so my only way to get some would be either long drive or order. I do have a bottle of scale finishes "racing white." Plus I have their ral fluo red I plan to use. The problem being that "racing white" doesn't look white to me. It's more of a cream color and I don't think that's correct for mclarens. I thought they sold these together but I may be wrong.

Anyway here's how it looks with a white paper towel behind it. Not sure the color comes out but to the naked eye it's very cream colored. So I guess I'm probably going to be on hold with anything body related till I sort some new paint. Maybe I can get some at Nats this weekend?