Tamiya 1/12 1973 Yardley McLaren, Peter Revson

A special Forum for the McLaren M23 series of F1 race cars.

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya 1/12 1973 Yardley McLaren, Peter Revson

Post by F1FANRH »

MGBrown wrote:It will be interesting to follow this build as I did a similar one (albeit for the Canadian GP) not long after attending the race!

Ah those were the days when you could easily sneak into the pit area without credentials and photograph the cars to your heart's content!
:D Howdy MGBrown......by chance do you have any photos of that wonderful build.....please feel free to post here if you like. I chose this version because of the Driver, who as all know was a well liked, very good driver, and I believe had he lived, for sure a future World Champion.........plus you get to model a early version platform for the make. I hope you enjoy the thread. Thanks for looking in and leaving a comment.
Rick
I feel the need, the need for speed.........

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Well sat here tonight and messed abit w/the engine block.......... 8)
I have built many of the Tamiya 1/12 F1 cars, and way back when.......the engine seemed to have a fair amount of gaps......but w/careful sanding to true all surfaces and then assemble carefully, you will get a nice flat, straight and gap less Ford DFV engine block......get this right and the rest is a piece of cake for the assembly of the heart of this beast.
I also like to use the tried and true method of welding by chemical process......those parts that will bare weight, of which, the engine does do that.
I drilled out for the socket head bolts and not seen in the photo is 2 bronze nut/bolt assemblies on the front mounting plate.
I have several parts ordered to dress the Motor up........but will keep @ it, go ahead and paint and get ready for the rest of the goodies.
I had forgot how much fun this is to build in this scale and subject matter.
Rick
Attachments
FORD DVHC 003.JPG
FORD DVHC 001.JPG

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Working on Trans......... :mrgreen:
Attachments
Trans 019.JPG
Trans 010.JPG
Trans 004.JPG

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

:shock: holes, holes everywhere holes to drill.................. :!:
Another order fired off to Scale Hardware :shock:

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

If I did not have this, I doubt my ole eyes would be able to see where to drill in some locations. I rescued this lamp/magnifyer from the trash heap.
Works fine and allows me to see. 8)
Attachments
Mag 016.JPG

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Waiting for Postman to deliver a care package from RB Motion, in this package is a group of goodies I will need to continue on the power plant. Post photos soon.

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Sorry for not posting for a bit........have been also working on another machine as well, get tired of the one and work on the other until problem is solved. :|
Received this past Saturday a order from Mac's Modeling, 1st class guy to do business with, just understand the guy has a plate full and will get to you as fast as he can.
I was floored by the quality of his products that go by the name of AZRM. I also hope to order a set of the wheels he has for the Ferrari 312B. There the bomb :o .
Anyhow, not alot done to the M23, but am looking to start painting a few items this week.
So until.........happy modeling all. 8)
Rick
Attachments
AZRM 009.JPG
AZRM 005.JPG
AZRM 002.JPG

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Foot Note :arrow: .........I just returned to plastic modeling after a long break of many years. I have always loved the Big Tamiya kits, as far back as the 70's I was building them. Then I would turn to wood ships for along time and RC.
I was not prepaired for what I would come to see when I started back w/the 1/12th kits........the detail, the PE, the resin and any other whim one wishs to add is available if your pocket book can stand it! :shock:
I have ordered from Japan, England, Belgium and of course the USA all manner of little goodies. I was shocked to see a PE set from Thundervalley that sold here in the USA f/$18.00 USD going f/$36.00 EUR........was the only place to find this PE set?
But thats just the nature of the hobby, has always been that way and I understand, but it still does not have to be liked! :evil:
So for that poor soul who is trying to figure out what is what and what do I need to dress up this 1st kit.......here is one tip I can give, 7mm rivets, you do not need to order every size available.........some of these things need a micro-scope to see them........this was one of those areas I was lost when it came to what size to order. Stay in this area f/rivets and those lovely nuts/bolts and only use here and there for dress up...........your hand will fall off if you try to replace every rivet :cry: Rivet counter I am not!
Decals is always a good thing to add and keep the work as close to the build as the mfg has made it. Of course this is for the new guys, you old hands know all this and more. This is just to help that guy who knows nothing. That is what I have gleened from the building of the M23. Above all, have fun.
Cheers 8)

Topic author
F1FANRH
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by F1FANRH »

Areas that needed attention was puttied and sanded.
Some parts added per instructions to inside of bottom pan.
Upper and lower main body was chemically welded w/ IMPS Weld-On #3.
This stuff is just the thing for this type of assembley........you will not see light coming thru any of the side seams, the body is for all intent and purpose.....welded together. :P
A word of caution, this stuff is hazardous and should be handled as such........know where I got it......Plumbing Supply for assembley of plastic plumbing pipe.
Many years ago, you could find this in Hobby Shops, but I have not seen it for a very long time in other than where I purchased.
Will let it cure over night and a slight amount of sanding on the side seam and it is done, no putty needed, no crack, gap or over-hang, just plastic melted together ready to sand. :shock:
Attachments
Liquid Welding 001.JPG

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi

I'm pretty certain that the picture of the non-M23 chassis is a Tamiya 1:12 Lotus 78...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.