2012 Indy 500 photos

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: 2012 Indy 500 photos

Post by vekkuli »

THX for sharing, those Cars are such Scifi, future of Formula 1 :D .

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I've heard a lot of people call them ugly based on photos, but in person the approval rate is near 100% - they are the most awesome cars I have ever seen.

badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

I think they are futuristic and take getting used to, but certainly not ugly. And if they allow side-by-side racing w/out cars being catapulted into the air, all the better.

SeaBee
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by SeaBee »

The word "Batmobile" springs to mind... :? It'll take a bit more getting used to for me - and unfortunately of late they're not showing much indycars (or whatever they're called now) over here for me to get used to it. Used to really like watching it. Here's to hoping the do show the Indy 500, at least...

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

JamesB wrote:I agree with the ones underlining the ugliness...
Derek, the word must be proper if a spaniard understood! :lol: (er... or is that a bad sign? :roll: :lol: :lol: )
I guess it's disproportionately, but the message is understood ;-) That said, I am even more unhappy with the cone shape of sidepods, and the rear fenders.
With this, and the F1 set to carry roll hoops on front of drivers noses, I am beginning to think that we'll stare more and more to the past...
James, I've thought about the look of the new cars as I've watched the races this season, and even more as I watched the speedway cars last weekend. I think if someone "Photoshopped" the car from the side and removed the fake air scoop and lowered the roll bar just a bit that it would look like a proper race car and not a go cart on steriods.

Michael, once again thanks for the great photos!

Paul Erlendson

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Thanks for pictures.Would like to see another chassis

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

billgtp wrote:Thanks for pictures.Would like to see another chassis
Bill, you won't be seeing another chassis, but next year the three engine manufacture's will have their own aero packages, so hopefully when you include teams that will use the standard Dallara package, we'll see four quite different looking cars on the track next season.

Paul Erlendson

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Great pictures. I don't like the look of the DW12 chassis, but the different liveries bring some old F1 lines in it: Ed Carpenter's car reminds me of the 1984 RAM, and in some way some lines of the 1991 Lambo are there in the blue cars. Sometimes I think that the Eurobrun ER189 was the base of the design. Maybe some guys of these old teams are now working at Dallara...

Michael, did you have the chance to take pictures of the engines, or will do so? I'm very curious about the different turbo arrangements, but so far I have seen very poor pictures of them, specially of the Lotus engine.

Topic author
indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

smirkoff wrote:Great pictures. I don't like the look of the DW12 chassis, but the different liveries bring some old F1 lines in it: Ed Carpenter's car reminds me of the 1984 RAM, and in some way some lines of the 1991 Lambo are there in the blue cars. Sometimes I think that the Eurobrun ER189 was the base of the design. Maybe some guys of these old teams are now working at Dallara...

Michael, did you have the chance to take pictures of the engines, or will do so? I'm very curious about the different turbo arrangements, but so far I have seen very poor pictures of them, specially of the Lotus engine.
The Lotus is the only one I've seen so far. I was in their garage when I had my pic taken with Alesi and the team owner said "Go ahead and take pics - we have nothing to hide!" I think Lotus wants the pics public in the hopes that someone might offer a suggestion :lol:

d111298pw
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Mark Nicodemus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by d111298pw »

Those are some really ugly cars. Far worse then the current F1 design.
Mark