1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
bmwmech1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1/8 Scale Scratchbuilt 427 AC Cobra

Post by bmwmech1 »

model.maker wrote:NO problems at all, the comments are well deserved !!!

sean
How is your tire dilemma for the Brabhams shaping up... any luck finding a set of masters to cast?

Garey

Topic author
bmwmech1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by bmwmech1 »

Formulamike wrote:Great Soldering work,
Mike
Thanks Mike, there are still alot of joints that need dressed, but most look presentable for photos, anyway. Once all the solder work is done, I'll clean the whole frame and scotchbrite it in preparation for primer. Getting close, now...

Garey

model.maker
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by model.maker »

Strevo over on SMC forums offered to make me up some 3D cad models to make a rapid prototype from , I'm going to wait and see what might still turn up on Ebay etc as the tires on the 1/8th scale GMP Gurney Eagle F1 are perfect , I just don't see the point in producing an expensive mold when a pattern can be sourced elsewhere.

Sean

Topic author
bmwmech1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by bmwmech1 »

model.maker wrote:Strevo over on SMC forums offered to make me up some 3D cad models to make a rapid prototype from , I'm going to wait and see what might still turn up on Ebay etc as the tires on the 1/8th scale GMP Gurney Eagle F1 are perfect , I just don't see the point in producing an expensive mold when a pattern can be sourced elsewhere.

Sean
I agree, I am still searching for the perfect tire to copy for the Cobra... I may end up using a wider tire that has the correct profile and sectioning it to the right width and then cast it. I really want a real rubber tire for this build, so I'm still searching, as well. I hate to have to make the perfect tire, but if I have to, oh well...

Garey

Topic author
bmwmech1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by bmwmech1 »

Well, the wife had a jewelry party tonight, so I just sequestered myself in the shop and got busy! Got most of the rear birdcage done and started to move forward, around the drivers door and onto the cowl. Not 100% happy with the shape of the upper part of the door frame, where it ties into the cowl, but I'll address it during the next build session. Also got the correct rollbar hoop bent up and the down-tube tied in and if you notice in the rear, right 3/4 view, you can see the bolts that hold the down-tube lower bracket to the framework. Just like the real deal, although there are still 3 more bolts to be drilled and tapped... until next time, enjoy...

Thanks for watching... :) :) :)

Garey

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

Stunning!!

model.maker
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by model.maker »

bmwmech1 wrote:
model.maker wrote:Strevo over on SMC forums offered to make me up some 3D cad models to make a rapid prototype from , I'm going to wait and see what might still turn up on Ebay etc as the tires on the 1/8th scale GMP Gurney Eagle F1 are perfect , I just don't see the point in producing an expensive mold when a pattern can be sourced elsewhere.

Sean
I agree, I am still searching for the perfect tire to copy for the Cobra... I may end up using a wider tire that has the correct profile and sectioning it to the right width and then cast it. I really want a real rubber tire for this build, so I'm still searching, as well. I hate to have to make the perfect tire, but if I have to, oh well...

Garey
Yes same here the tires will make or break any miniature in particular an open wheeler F1 like the Brabham , I"ll keep an eye out for you anyway.

Sean

model.maker
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by model.maker »

Out of interest what melting point Silver solder and torch/Iron are you using in the Chassis construction ?

Sean

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Oh my God :shock: !!!

Topic author
bmwmech1
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by bmwmech1 »

model.maker wrote:Out of interest what melting point Silver solder and torch/Iron are you using in the Chassis construction ?

Sean
The solder is just garden variety stuff, not silver or anything fancy, in various diameters. Too cheap or lazy to hunt for anything fancier, Lol...The torch/iron is actually a variety of tools... a couple of different size torches, a non-fancy weller iron and an American Beauty resistance rig. Surprisingly, I use torches most often, since all of the round "tubing" is actually solid rod. It takes a bunch to heat up 1/2" diameter brass, so the resistance setup is only used for tubing, where multiple joints in close proximity need to be soldered. I just jig everything, if I have to re-solder the larger rod, so I don't lose any previous joints... It's pretty crude, but I'm no purist when it comes to soldering. The results are more important than the methods, to me, anyway.

Garey