Skinny rear wings for 2009

Got a rumor???

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: Skinny rear wings for 2009

Post by CaptainMark »

Besides the rear wing though, I'd say we'd mostly agree that the rest of the car looks fantastic.
Image Image

mp4f1
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by mp4f1 »

Just keep the cars similar to now, and put single plane wings front and rear....tons of ad space,and bigger tyres would be a big aero drag, simple enough....the plus is great racing cause with only one wing plane to adjust, teams can get wrong, or even make big gambles.

isn't big evil looking wings part of the allure of an F1 car? Keep the size, reduce adjustability!

dozman
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Lotus, Williams
Australia

Post by dozman »

There's an F3 team out missing a rear wing :lol:

Have to agree with mp4f1 though.

Spike2933
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Spike2933 »

got to believe why S27/MFH are trying to make most 2008 F1 models. cause 09 and on is gonna be bad for business. I personally like the cars in 2008, they all look agressive and mean with all the little add ons.

I got the F2001 to build and just comparing to the F2007/8 I have, the thing looks pitiful and boxy, unlike the sleek curves of the F2007.

thats my 2 cents, rant over

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

Yup....even they're overcharged with aero parts, this year's F1 look like they should : technology pinacle (yeah ?), extreme, sure but complicated...
Now we're going back to 2002 where the car were, seeing them now, IMHO empty and dull.And the worst was 98/99....kinda in-between...
I understand why I try to get all the car of this year coz i don't think that I'll do a lot of F1 next year....

acfox

Post by acfox »

A disaster!!! Oh, how I miss the seventies and eighties!!!!! :roll:

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

You all know that there was a time when F1 represnted state of the art engineering in all aspects. The teams were free within a few limits to develope just about anything they could think of. It led to some of the most interesting vehicles in the history of the sport, and some major leaps forward in auto products on the street. I morne the passing of those days. We now have a spec race with very similar cars. The differance is now very small and Mac and Berie fiddle with the formula on a regular basis for their own pleasure. This "may" make the race more interesting, but it shurly dosn't make the cars as diverse. Now we talk about paint as the main differace. Too bad!

P.S. Sorry for the rant, but I just couldn't contain it.

Pete J.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

With all the talks about cars looking alike, why don't we see any conversions between kits ?
The cars in fact are still quite different, to the level that conversion from one to another is
very difficult. Think about it from this perspective.

Say, if next year we have 1/20 F248 plastic model, can we easily have conversions to other cars ?
I bet no.

I like current F1 cars and liked all cars in the past. If I watch all races for each given season car
look quite similar to me always too. I don't buy all this talk about how diverse cars were in past.
Look more like "everything was better when I was young" syndrome to me. Just my 2c I've always
wanted to put out.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

lezdep wrote:I don't buy all this talk about how diverse cars were in past.
Look more like "everything was better when I was young" syndrome to me. Just my 2c I've always
wanted to put out.
Ok, here is another perspective that will lend a bit more creedance to my comments. Paint all the cars gray and run them by. Can you identify them? Maybe, but not likely. Run a 60's Tyrrell, McClaren, Lotus, Ferrari, or Brabham by in gray paint and there are significant differances in appearance. Inovation? Six wheels on at least 6 differant cars and all differant types and sizes of tires. Big wings, little wings, blunt wings, high wings over the front wheels, wings hanging out back 8" off the track, or 4' over the rear wheels, sucker cars, ground effects skirts. Not to mention 4, 6, 8, 12 cylinders(though Cosworth 4 was most common). Can you come up with a list like that for current cars? Can you even identify the differance between this years cars and last years cars? The last noticable changes in F1 were loss of traction control(actual step backwards in technology) which you can't see and a mandated engine change.

In todays cars there are very small inovations and very small differances. Perhaps that is because there is little to discover and in the past there was a lot, but today's cars run within very tight parameters, which leads to very similar solutions. No quantum leaps from season to season. As I said, very much a spec car race.

Pete J.

Pete J.