Where can I get Dupont Chromaclear ?

Ask away....

Topic author
onroadnut

Where can I get Dupont Chromaclear ?

Post by onroadnut »

I have finally decided on using Dupont Chromaclear to clearcoat my builds. The problem I've been is getting my hands on the 2400s line that Billgtrp recommended to me. Most of the local shops carry the higher model numbers and I am not sure if they are the same as the 2400s. I called several shops in New Jersey and no one carries what I need. They are even reluctant to special order what I need. Does anyone know where I could get my hands on this product on-line ? How about providing me with info on their expreience use of the higher numbered Chromaclear line. Thanks.

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

RE: Where can I get Dupont Chromaclear ?

Post by billgtp »

Im in california which could be the reason you cannot get 2400s.We have some strange EPA regs here.
So get what you can in New Jersey.Also get a bottle of reducer to go with it.
The paint is for 1:1 CARS. So I reduced by almost 100% for our models.Also I get a can of cheap laquer thinner to clean the air brush.Be sure to clean you brush.This stuff will harden to the max.Your paint jar & brush will be dust if you dont clean them.It gets really hard.Just go & look at your personal car.
Let me know what you can get.I will try & help with any questions you have just email me
Bill

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Bill - by reducing 100% do you mean 1/1 ratio of clear paint to reducer? What ratio hardener do you add also? I assume you use the medium temp hardener?

Just curious - I have some Dupont clear that I've not tried yet but would like some starting ratios to experiment with. The instructions for automotive mix ratios don't really apply as the paint film would be much thicker following those instructions.

Cheers,
AJ

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Mix the hardener pre the manufatures instructions.Most of the time its 1/3 or 1/4 of hardener to paint.
Then i will reduce it by 50 to 100% Thin spray light coats so it wont run.Most of the time i end up with 3 or 4 coats so I have something to polish.
Give you an idea on how custom paint shops work to get a good finish.On my 1:1 32 ford coupe they sprayed on 2 gallons of clearcoat.The coupe body is small about like a fait 600.Then they rub out & buff off maybe awhole gallon of the paint.
Play with it on some junk bodies to get a feel of the clear.Feel fre to email me with any questions
bill

Topic author
onroadnut

Post by onroadnut »

Hi Bilgtrp - I called Dupont today. You are correct, the 2400s is only available in the west coast. What is available here is the 7900s - which has a higher VOC and thicker than the 2400s that you use. I checked the specs of both the 2400s and 7900s and there is quite a difference. Since you are familiar with the 2400s, could you look into the 7900s and pinpoint areas that I should be aware off. I have no bodies to test the product on I am a bit worried on using the product on the kit I am currently building. Thanks,.

Gary

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Will do give me a couble days & will get back to you

Bill

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Ok A1Gp its not real different.You wil want a reducer to thin it almost like milk
Then spray light coats.Play with the reducer to get it thin & you will be ok