To clear or not to clear?

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author

To clear or not to clear?

Post by Guest »

Just completed my first build (Tameo Lotus91) when talking to the man at the hobby store about clear coating he said some do and some don't, what is the consensus here? And is ok to clear now that the kit is done (decals applied).

Also with this kit I applied metal primer prior to painting but I noticed some of you also apply a standard primer in addition to the metal primer, why would I do this and would I apply it before or after the metal primer (for my next build)

Thanks!

little-cars
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

RE: To clear or not to clear?

Post by little-cars »

I clear coated both the 91's I built, but they were meant to be taken around to shows to shows as samples, so they needed protection for the decals.

It all depends why you are clear coating,
It can hide lots of small imperfections and give a nice finish, but can on occasions lift and fold decals.
It can some models look good, but some can look more like toys.

Always look at the original car, if your perception of the car was of a really glossy, then you can get away with it on 1/43rd.
I personally would clear coat something like a lotus, mclaren , brabham they always looked nice and shiny.
But something like a March that was usually run by the teams with the smaller budget teams always look a little unfinished and dull by comparison, so I wouldn't gloss these at all.

It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Primers, just try a few and use whatever works for you.
Depends on the paints you are using and any problems you are getting.

I tend to use 'Halfords' grey primer and halfords paints on top.
As these are all from the same range there shouldn't be any problem with compatibility.

If you use a metal surface sealer from one range, it may react with the paint you use.
Alternatively a clear metal primer won't show you the defects in the castings that need filling before the top coat.

Personally I don't use a seperate etching metal primer to seal the surface in, I'm happy with the grey primer I normally use.

Topic author

RE: To clear or not to clear?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help, I am in USA so I maybe do not have all the options you speak of but I used Tamiya clear on the model and the finish came out great! Definitely the way to go on a Lotus etc.

I have the Lotus 77 Tameo kit I am working on now and I will most certainly clear that as well.