Anyone here going to the Goodwood FoS this year?

Post away...

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Re: Anyone here going to the Goodwood FoS this year?

Post by Flemming »

jaykay wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:39 am
That coverage is increasingly annoying me.
I wonder where they left the people that knew what they were talking about. It's now on par with german RTL F1 commentary when it was still on air...or even below.

My last Festival was 2014 as well. Would like to go again but mybe shouldn't when I read these comments.
Unfortunately one of the most knowledgeable of them all - Henry Hope Frost - was killed on a motorbike some years back. I think he was a formidable commentator with a heap load of knowledge.

Flemming

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Anyone here going to the Goodwood FoS this year?

Post by jaykay »

Yes I know, that was sad. Even donated some money for his kids at the time.
The guys who are doing the commentary now seem to not have much beyond the basic clue about what they see.
Calling out cars wrong, not knowing their backstories or messing them up, stuff like that.
Them constantly waxing on about how wonderful and special the event is and bla bla bla is also really not necessary. We know. That's why we're here...
What also bugs me is, that they only show like 1/3rd of the cars. Some get shown from start to finish for others never to be seen or mentioned.
The best thing always was wandering in the paddocks and taking pictures of open cars and details you don't get to see in museums anyway. The driving is a nice extra :-)
By 2014 access had become more tricky especially at the F1 teams. But they were always a bit full of themselves anyway.
At the time people were already reminiscing about the good old days when the event "wasn't so big and crowded". Think about that now :-)