Recommended heat gun/hair dryer for decals?

Ask away....

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Recommended heat gun/hair dryer for decals?

Post by stubeck »

I need a new decal warmer to help with laying down decals. Is there a model car specific one people can recommend? I am in the US, and am hoping to avoid the main issue I had with my last one, which is that the air was not concentrated enough so it would either blow away decals that I didn't intend to touch, or it would not be hot enough to do anything on the car model.

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Recommended heat gun/hair dryer for decals?

Post by jaykay »

I don't use a blow dryer at all. It may blow the decals away as you describe and it tends to evaporate the softener before it can work on the decal.
Instead I use a halogen desk lamp for heat after applying the softener.
Last edited by jaykay on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

What about a low power normal one with a custom small diffuser? Just an idea

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I have a Wagner paint striping gun. Their model Furno 700 heat gun https://www.wagnerspraytech.com/product ... -heat-gun/ is great for the job even though it may seem like overkill. I use it because I can set exactly the heat I want from 125 to 1300 degrees. It also have a variable speed fan and is designed so you can stand it on end so you can use it hands free. It gives you perfect control. At about $50 it is a great tool.

dingo07
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: DJ
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by dingo07 »

PeteJ wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:48 pm I have a Wagner paint striping gun. Their model Furno 700 heat gun https://www.wagnerspraytech.com/product ... -heat-gun/ is great for the job even though it may seem like overkill. I use it because I can set exactly the heat I want from 125 to 1300 degrees. It also have a variable speed fan and is designed so you can stand it on end so you can use it hands free. It gives you perfect control. At about $50 it is a great tool.
That thing looks great! If I ever need one, that's what I'll be getting for sure!!

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

I just use a regular everyday hairdryer,it has 3 heat settings with a button to allow cool air while still on heat mode. The diffuser goes into a mail slot for the air to come out.
It was my wife’s but with me using it she bought another. It’s better than mine but I’m not brave enough to borrow it😋

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

JamesB wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 pm What about a low power normal one with a custom small diffuser? Just an idea
Thats what I got after seeing a good deal on one on Amazon. I like the idea of a halogen lamp or heat gun though too.

Ronnux
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Netherlands

Post by Ronnux »

Shunter wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:23 am I just use a regular everyday hairdryer,it has 3 heat settings with a button to allow cool air while still on heat mode. The diffuser goes into a mail slot for the air to come out.
It was my wife’s but with me using it she bought another. It’s better than mine but I’m not brave enough to borrow it😋
Almost the same story here; using my girlfriend’s hairdryer just like Shunter describes. She now calls it ‘the carbon fibre föhn (hairdryer) :D

It has three speeds and three temperatures. For me the lowest speed and hottest temperature works best for CF decals.

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

A few years ago I used my table halogen lamp, which worked very well and doesn't make any noise so you can use it at night without disturbing anyone. Unfortunately it burned out and then I used my small blow dryer. It has two temperature levels and two speeds and a cool down button. A narrow nozzle that can be clipped on is also included. I made this a little smaller in order to be able to use the airflow more precisely. For me it works optimally and I achieve very good results. My range of tools also includes a Parkside hot air dryer that covers a wide temperature range. It has several different nozzle attachments with which you can achieve a temperature of up to approx. 3200°C. This device is too extreme for me to use with decals, but this is a good and inexpensive tool for shaping resin parts. That's my 2 cents on this topic as it works well for me.
Seema