Shiiya
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Shiiya
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams and Piquet
Brazil

Re: Who,s going to make the f1 cars for the 2014 season

Post by Shiiya »

This is why its so important for us to support new kits when they come out. I got the Meng MP4/4 at release even though I didn't intend to build it immediately to show there is interest. Its a bit disheartening to see people make posts about somewhat minor issues with the kit and have others say they won't get it because of that...when the fix is typically less time than polishing white metal pieces of a kit 3 times as much would take.
[/quote]

Totally agree

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Tamiy did the SF70 as well. When was it released?

Blue
F3
F3
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: *Max Verstappen
Canada

Post by Blue »

Orso wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:06 pm Tamiy did the SF70 as well. When was it released?
It was a 2017 season car and the kit was released in 2018.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Shiiya wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:50 pm This is why its so important for us to support new kits when they come out. I got the Meng MP4/4 at release even though I didn't intend to build it immediately to show there is interest. Its a bit disheartening to see people make posts about somewhat minor issues with the kit and have others say they won't get it because of that...when the fix is typically less time than polishing white metal pieces of a kit 3 times as much would take.
Totally agree
[/quote]

I partly agree. I have bought all of the Ebbro kits that are pre 1979 season but I will not get any of the newer cars. I hppe that I have all plasic kits of the pre 1979 cars from Hasegawa, Fujimi Tamiya and Ebbros there is where my interest is. I will not geat anything out of my interest sphere just to support the manufactures.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Thats fair enough. My concerns with these things is that someone sees something in a kit that isn't 100% correct and then doesn't buy a kit they otherwise would enjoy because of it. I know the Meng and BeeMax 1/12 kits have problems, but I've supported them because I'd like to see more modern cars be made.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Selling model kits is still a business. This means that good products always sell better.

Take the Lotus 99T as an example, there are some really unnecessary defects in the kit. The mismatch of the seam line between the side wall and the top is just a really bad defect. Yes, it can be easily corrected by the builder by sanding/filing it flat. The the question is why can't the manufacturer fix it at the first place? This is not that difficult.

With CAD and CAM these days so common in injection molding, there is not reason to see these types of defects. My job needs to deal with plastic parts design and I know some of these issues.

A 1/12th F1 kit is still towards the high end of the product line. These types of defects just drives people that are marginal to buy the kit at the first place. If the review is very good, it will attract people that are just pondering. Revell did 1/24 F1 kits some years ago fell into the same issue. The tires of the first couple kits were completely wrong. The quality of the cars are marginal. This did not do well for Revell as 1/24 scale for F1 cars is already not that attractive. Even Hasegawa did a bunch of early 90's F1 in 1/24 with good quality but did not continue. It may be the sales was not that great. Otherwise, they would have released more F1 cars. Some of these cars are re-released couple of times and still got all sold. This indicates that good quality products still have a market.

I watch a Youtube chat with the original people from Dragon Model. (It is in Chinese only.) When they first started, they have no people that knows the plastic industry. They struggled till they met someone that have knowledge in plastic molding. A plastic model kit producer needs both knowledge in the hobby and the engineer knowledge in manufacturing of the product in order to do well. Trumpeter Model is another good example. They have good knowledge in the military subjects and high quality molding. Their products sell. The GT40 is a good example of insufficient knowledge of that hobby market and it is not as successful.

I will always like to have kits of the last 10 seasons. There are also people that hate these cars. Eventually, market dictates and I am still waiting for an inject molded model.
C K
Canada

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Orso wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:47 pm I partly agree. I have bought all of the Ebbro kits that are pre 1979 season but I will not get any of the newer cars. I hppe that I have all plasic kits of the pre 1979 cars from Hasegawa, Fujimi Tamiya and Ebbros there is where my interest is. I will not geat anything out of my interest sphere just to support the manufactures.
I understand your point. You have to draw the line somewhere.
And you after all contribute to make an idea of the market interests :D