Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Decals over white paint

Post by Joaquin »

Hi all,

I'm planning to build several kits with white colour paint. In my experience before I have got yellowing of the decals film after months that really ruin the finish.
Is it any method, varnish or product to prevent that? Some diecast models I have don't show this problem after years on the vitrine

Thank you and best wishes for 2024

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Re: Decals over white paint

Post by Sennafan »

The issue I remember was never use to older testors style clear coats over white as they would yellow the white, especially the lacquer clear

I think it is the clear that’s the issue, maybe the decals themselves too, UV light can damage finishes too, the new two part clears, I haven’t seen an issue yet

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Die casts use Tampo printing - totally different. The carrier film of the paper you are using is the first contributor - any clear coats you put over it would be the next. But it it's ONLY happening where the decal is, then it's the decal film.

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

indycals wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:43 pm Die casts use Tampo printing - totally different. The carrier film of the paper you are using is the first contributor - any clear coats you put over it would be the next. But it it's ONLY happening where the decal is, then it's the decal film.
If the problem is oxidation or degradation because of oxygen, applying clear varnish over decals should help to protect film from yellowing, right?

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Michael explained it perfectly. It’s the gel like carrier film that yellows. You can see also on not used decals no matter how well stored. It yellows as the Humbrol clear did 🤷‍♂️
Better solution what I do 8) : decals with white carrier film

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

JamesB wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:35 am Michael explained it perfectly. It’s the gel like carrier film that yellows. You can see also on not used decals no matter how well stored. It yellows as the Humbrol clear did 🤷‍♂️
Better solution what I do 8) : decals with white carrier film
I haven't any doubt about it's the carrier film that yellows. Final question was what happens when sealing the decal with a good modern clear varnish that doesn't yellow after time.
On the other hand it sounds interesting to use white carrier film. Have you fixed the problem with this?

I have big interest because I have a good collection of Chaparral resin kits. Only take a look to my avatar and you will see I am a big fan of these cars and don't want to suffer a big disappointment in future with decals. Those are my treasure models and want to get the most perfect finish I can produce

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I think many of the more modern two part clear coats don't have the issue, but I'd also remind everyone that real race cars tend to look pretty terrible after a number of races, and especially after a number of years.

What I would recommend to everyone is to get a good quality scanner (2400 dpi or higher) and scan the decal sheet right after they open the kit. This is the hardest part to reproduce on a car, and then to store that file in a few different places. If in the future there is an issue, you can always redo the body and print the decals again.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I have a Revell 1/25 AAR CART car that I finished at least 15 years ago. It is always in a display case not in direct sunlight.

I just check, some of the decals start to show a little bit of yellow but one big one on the side pot is still pretty clear. The kit was sealed with Future floor wax. I remember some big decals were not adhering to the white body and I washed away the glue and use Future as glue.

I suspect that some glue will yellow after some time. It may not be just the transparent carrier film that turns yellow.
C K
Canada